Blacksmith Research?

Polls, discussion and commentary on suggested issues.

Moderators: Lorikeet, CL GMs

warawonda
Exile
Profession: Mystic
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Spambot

Blacksmith Research?

Post by warawonda » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:34 am

blacksmiths could research how to make the other weapons in the weapon shop, of course it would take longer to research the better ones (or stronger ones)
could even be quests for Blacksmiths.
to give them a more active role, rather then just repairs and armor making.
the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer; enter clanlord, and they wonder why no one new joins and stays on

reckinyards
Noble
Profession: #&$@
Race: Ghorak Zo
Player Status: Active

Re: Blacksmith Research?

Post by reckinyards » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:54 am

nice
11/2/09 7:02:10p Gustave says, "my fight is very vectorized"

Stinkfist
Pirate Clan
Pirate Clan
Profession: Pirate King

Post by Stinkfist » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:19 am

Yeah, with the system as is, there is no real reason to take your blacksmithing char into the field.

1000 ranks is a ton in the grand scheme of things for an ability, it'd be really cool if i had an excuse to bring my smith on a hunt to do something actively.

Anything.

Gloria
Noble
Profession: Spiritual Advisor
Race: Halfling

Post by Gloria » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:04 pm

I agree with the suggestion. This would make it more fun and interesting to play a blacksmith.
Aye'cha wrote:I'm not pulling a Gloria here

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Destroyer of Worlds
Race: Fen'neko

Post by Daimoth » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:05 pm

Yes. Also I would like to not see ranks involved in blacksmithing. Or if there are ranks involved, a somewhat low amount. (100-200?), or benefits like being able to make unique gear for yourself only that is much more powerful than other gear. That way it's not too terrible to put ranks into it.

Because currently it is. Very. Terrible.
Extreme level disparity is community disparity.

Cecil
Maximum Rankage
Profession: Fighter/Rankwhore
Race: Human

Post by Cecil » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:16 pm

It would also be helpful to newer exiles not taking forever to raise 10k for a GS or 8k for GA or whatever they cost. They can buy direct from a blacksmith. But wait, no, this would just be ANOTHER way for exiles to make more money. Gaia forbid!!
Thanks for the apology Cecil, vaginas everywhere are grateful to you.-Kalypso

Mjollnir
Noble
Profession: Healer/Alchemist
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Mjollnir » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:05 am

Are there really enough weapons to make something like this viable though?
Yes it takes a while to get the money for that initial purchase but this isnt WoW or any other MMO where your attacks are mostly based on the strength of your weapon so its not like you're constantly upgrading from one weapon to the next which is the sort of system a blacksmith would need to be able to do reasonable business.

(And you just know as soon as Eldon notices this thread he'll say that any blacksmith produced weapons are going to have to wear)
A good pun is its own reword

reckinyards
Noble
Profession: #&$@
Race: Ghorak Zo

Post by reckinyards » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:12 am

Mjollnir wrote:Are there really enough weapons to make something like this viable though?
Yes it takes a while to get the money for that initial purchase but this isnt WoW or any other MMO where your attacks are mostly based on the strength of your weapon so its not like you're constantly upgrading from one weapon to the next which is the sort of system a blacksmith would need to be able to do reasonable business.

(And you just know as soon as Eldon notices this thread he'll say that any blacksmith produced weapons are going to have to wear)
not really
11/2/09 7:02:10p Gustave says, "my fight is very vectorized"

Sproutfoot
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan
Profession: Botanist
Race: Halfling

Post by Sproutfoot » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:34 pm

Daimoth wrote:Yes. Also I would like to not see ranks involved in blacksmithing. Or if there are ranks involved, a somewhat low amount. (100-200?), or benefits like being able to make unique gear for yourself only that is much more powerful than other gear. That way it's not too terrible to put ranks into it.

Because currently it is. Very. Terrible.
100-200 ranks is no low number in the grand scheme of things. Unless of course the item in question gives at least a 100-200 rank boost to a character stat/skill.

At your level Daimoth, would you rather have 100-200 ranks invested into a skill to make an "improved" GS/GA or have those ranks to spend on core fighter stats?
reckinyards wrote: not really
Really? In a world where mystics can train an ungodly enough number of ranks to boost an exile, and that boost hardly be a blip to a character like Daimoth, and that boost be limited in duration...

You may want to rethink the "not really" angle.

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Destroyer of Worlds
Race: Fen'neko

Post by Daimoth » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:32 pm

Sproutfoot wrote:100-200 ranks is no low number in the grand scheme of things. Unless of course the item in question gives at least a 100-200 rank boost to a character stat/skill.

At your level Daimoth, would you rather have 100-200 ranks invested into a skill to make an "improved" GS/GA or have those ranks to spend on core fighter stats?
It's impossible for me to answer that question with the information provided. Will the gear have equal or superior stats to the ranks spent in stats? Then sure. Will it be something normal stat trainers can't provide, but combat-effective? Definitely.

What does my level have to do with anything though? Good ranks are good ranks. And interesting things that change up the norm are always welcome.
Extreme level disparity is community disparity.