Welcome Arindal Players!

Polls, discussion and commentary on suggested issues.

Moderators: Lorikeet, CL GMs

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Destroyer of Worlds
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Active

Re: Welcome Arindal Players!

Post by Daimoth » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:24 am

Wait. So the ranks Arindalers get now don't even count?

So all the time I've been taking them hunting has been pretty much a waste?
Extreme level disparity is community disparity.

Arutha
Exile
Profession: Fighter
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Arutha » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:29 am

No offense, but that is lame. More hard work and playing time should = more ranks.
Willie Pete thinks, "This is dumb I want to hunt and i get a bad karme and Natas pushed me into a beast"

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Daimoth » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:32 am

My attention was drawn to this thread by an upset Arindaler who lost interest in ranking and didn't mind departing specifically because of this thread.

I really hope I'm misunderstanding things. Their ranks they're earning now will count on top of their Arindal experience, right?
Extreme level disparity is community disparity.

Arutha
Exile
Profession: Fighter
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Arutha » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:19 am

Doesn't sound like it will, Daimoth.
Willie Pete thinks, "This is dumb I want to hunt and i get a bad karme and Natas pushed me into a beast"

Alces
Order of the White Elephant
Profession: *.Stereotype
Race: Human
Player Status: Inactive

Post by Alces » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:21 am

Arutha wrote:No offense, but that is lame. More hard work and playing time should = more ranks.
+1

I'm sure that there are folks that had 1500 ranks in Arindal and some that only had 500. They put in the time over there and were rewarded for it. This transition shouldn't be any different. The ranks they receive from their Arindal playtime should be on top of whatever they already have in CL.

...and this is coming from a casual player.
Last edited by Alces on Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Characters on PSA Rank Tracker:
Alces (DPS) - Athran (Brick) - Angadol (Rod) - Abner (Horus) - Ajah (Repairs)
Math, imploring the GMs, wrote:Take bold measures, gentlemen. Save the game.

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Eldon » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:21 am

This is why I never post formulas. And, why I won't do it again.

We're giving the Arindal folks >100% of the ranks they had in Arindal to make up for these types of timing problems. It's the way the CL GMs and the Arindal GMs agreed to do it and it's quite generous to all involved.
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM
Cinnamon wrote:I think you're one of the best GMs I've ever been frustrated with. 11 years & counting. I'm a loyal CL addict & you're a big part of why. For being willing to stick your chin out, many thanks.

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Eldon » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:25 am

Alces wrote:
Arutha wrote:No offense, but that is lame. More hard work and playing time should = more ranks.
+1

I'm sure that there are folks that had 1500 ranks in Arindal and some that only had 500. They put in the time over there and were rewarded for it. This transition shouldn't be any different. The ranks they receive from their Arindal playtime should be on top of whatever they already have in CL.

...and this is coming from a casual player.
Uh, no. Some of them already had characters in CL and I would not just add another Y ranks on top of that, especially since some were library characters. I know this because I had to re-generate a password and send it to them. We're giving out a boatload of experience here folks. Move along.
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM
Cinnamon wrote:I think you're one of the best GMs I've ever been frustrated with. 11 years & counting. I'm a loyal CL addict & you're a big part of why. For being willing to stick your chin out, many thanks.

Alces

Post by Alces » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:36 am

Eldon wrote:Move along.
Very well.

Onashi
Fresh off the Boat
Profession: Ranger
Race: Ghorak Zo

Post by Onashi » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:33 am

I'm very grateful for what Eldon and Slarty and the other CL GMs have done for us. But I'll be honest here.. part of the reason I've played as much as I have since the transfer was because I was hoping that the ranks I've earned here and those from Arindal would be combined to a greater advantage.

The 900ish I earned there and the 250 here so far would be an excellent start on my way to 4th Circle ^^

However, it also seems there's a bit of confusion regarding the ranks we've already earned. I understand that it won't just be Arindal exp piled on top of CL, but are we going to start again from scratch so that we -only- have our Arindal ranks? And if this is the case, I don't believe a 'slow-and-steady' method of doling it back out would be appropriate, as we've already sunk a fair bit of time learning the 1st circle (or 2nd in Azu D'Arindal's case) trainers and their methods.

Also, I'm not knocking your timetable for how you plan to get things done, but v666 is roughly 1.5 months away, right? I can earn quite a few ranks in that time.. Is that when the exp will begin to roll out? and is there any way to know if those earned ranks will affect the boosted ranks later on?

Can someone clear these up for me?

And again, I want to express my deep gratitude for even allowing us to have any amount of exp that had come from our previous lands.

Alces

Post by Alces » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:47 am

Onashi wrote:Also, I'm not knocking your timetable for how you plan to get things done, but v666 is roughly 1.5 months away, right?
Nope, v666 roles out on Sept 1.

Onashi
Fresh off the Boat

Post by Onashi » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:03 am

Alces wrote:
Onashi wrote:Also, I'm not knocking your timetable for how you plan to get things done, but v666 is roughly 1.5 months away, right?
Nope, v666 roles out on Sept 1.
Whups! Apologies. Thought it went up individual version numbers every three weeks.

Slartibartfast
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Slartibartfast » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:00 pm

Onashi wrote: I understand that it won't just be Arindal exp piled on top of CL, but are we going to start again from scratch so that we -only- have our Arindal ranks? And if this is the case, I don't believe a 'slow-and-steady' method of doling it back out would be appropriate, as we've already sunk a fair bit of time learning the 1st circle (or 2nd in Azu D'Arindal's case) trainers and their methods.
You keep everything you have now. From now until X ranks, you will have accelerated rank gain. X ranks is the same regardless of how many ranks you have now, and is determined by how many ranks you had in Arindal. (Read Eldon's response for a reiteration of how things will be calculated.)

The only negative of having spent time to earn ranks before the acceleration, is you would have earned those ranks in 1/3 or 1/4 the time it took you, if you had waited, since those ranks would have been accelerated. The bright side is the largest benefit for the acceleration actually comes at larger number of ranks, the acceleration is relatively modest (comparatively) for the low numbers of ranks, since those already come quite quickly regardless.

Does that clear things up?

Gloria
Noble
Profession: Spiritual Advisor
Race: Halfling

Post by Gloria » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:16 pm

The GMs have done a lot of unnecessary work and effort to integrate Arindal players. It seems inappropriate for people to complain at them for having done that work. It could very well have been the case that Arindal GMs pointed Arindal players to Clan Lord website and left it at that.
Aye'cha wrote:I'm not pulling a Gloria here

Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone
Profession: Healer

Post by Lorikeet » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:27 pm

Gloria wrote:The GMs have done a lot of unnecessary work and effort to integrate Arindal players. It seems inappropriate for people to complain at them for having done that work. It could very well have been the case that Arindal GMs pointed Arindal players to Clan Lord website and left it at that.
Gee Gloria. I don't think the work was unnecessary at all. And it has been very much appreciated. And if people don't understand exactly what is happening, it leads to confusion. The confusion is now fixed.

Onashi
Fresh off the Boat

Post by Onashi » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:20 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
Does that clear things up?
Absolutely. Thanks very much!