Welcome Arindal Players!

Polls, discussion and commentary on suggested issues.

Moderators: Lorikeet, CL GMs

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Destroyer of Worlds
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Active

Re: Welcome Arindal Players!

Post by Daimoth » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:52 am

Slartibartfast wrote: I am. ;) Effectively, we'll be reducing the cost to rank for their first X ranks significantly, so they'll gain ranks at a Very fast rate. This won't affect things like clan experience or share payout. The hope is it will be fast enough that it won't take very long for them to catch up to their old strength, but not so fast that they'll make horrible training errors.
If it wont' affect shares how will the Healers rank expediently?
Extreme level disparity is community disparity.

Slartibartfast
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Slartibartfast » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:51 am

Daimoth wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote: I am. ;) Effectively, we'll be reducing the cost to rank for their first X ranks significantly, so they'll gain ranks at a Very fast rate. This won't affect things like clan experience or share payout. The hope is it will be fast enough that it won't take very long for them to catch up to their old strength, but not so fast that they'll make horrible training errors.
If it wont' affect shares how will the Healers rank expediently?
I mean it won't affect the people being shared by them. That is, if they were to gain 50 ranks and were sharing you, you would be unlikely to get even one rank from their shares. Healers from Arindal will still gain ranks faster, be it through shares coming in to them, tags, or quests. It might be a bit harder for them, as it always is for healers at that level, but it is very doable, especially with a little help. I don't anticipate it being a problem.

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Daimoth » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:38 am

Slartibartfast wrote: I mean it won't affect the people being shared by them. That is, if they were to gain 50 ranks and were sharing you, you would be unlikely to get even one rank from their shares. Healers from Arindal will still gain ranks faster, be it through shares coming in to them, tags, or quests. It might be a bit harder for them, as it always is for healers at that level, but it is very doable, especially with a little help. I don't anticipate it being a problem.
Oh cool sounds like a good idea. Good form.
Extreme level disparity is community disparity.

Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone
Profession: Healer

Post by Lorikeet » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:42 am

Will they have some way of knowing when the Arindal ranks will start, and how many they will get? It may help them plan.

Slartibartfast
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Slartibartfast » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:22 am

Lorikeet wrote:Will they have some way of knowing when the Arindal ranks will start, and how many they will get? It may help them plan.
If I get around to doing it before the deadline. I agree some kind of indication would be nice.

Knarf
Fresh off the Boat
Profession: Fighter
Race: Dwarf
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Knarf » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:04 pm

thats true. would like to know if its an earned rank or a boost.

I'd like it to be not interfering

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Eldon » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:58 am

If I haven't messed things up, then the Arindal player ranks should start trickling out in v666. Note that GygesGM still hasn't heard from some folks, so if nothing's happening, let both of us know.
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM
Cinnamon wrote:I think you're one of the best GMs I've ever been frustrated with. 11 years & counting. I'm a loyal CL addict & you're a big part of why. For being willing to stick your chin out, many thanks.

Knarf
Fresh off the Boat
Profession: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

Post by Knarf » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:06 pm

one question, tho:
we already earned some ranks, did they count into that?
eg. one has 1000 arindal ranks and in CL he made now 200. does he get that boost for the NEXT 1000 ranks or UNTIL he reached 1000 ranks?

Trowl
Exile
Profession: Rangerishness
Race: Human

Post by Trowl » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:43 am

My guess is that the experience that you've gained will be kept. However... This means that you won't get 1200 ranks, because the first few ranks take much less experience. So the exp will be added but not much else.
(Problem with this logic is that Frenzymac just got 35-50 ranks at his level, but her, cut them some slack)
reckinyards: Never working on healers is all the rage...
Stinkfist: That's just what a GM would say. Face it you are a sock puppet for all the GMs and everyone knows it.

Slartibartfast
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Slartibartfast » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:17 am

Knarf wrote:one question, tho:
eg. one has 1000 arindal ranks and in CL he made now 200. does he get that boost for the NEXT 1000 ranks or UNTIL he reached 1000 ranks?
Quick answer: Until you reach 1000 ranks (assuming Eldon did his math right :)

Also: The formula doesn't actually get you exactly what you had in Arindal, it will actually end up higher for everyone.

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Eldon » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:55 am

Slartibartfast wrote:
Knarf wrote:one question, tho:
Quick answer: Until you reach 1000 ranks (assuming Eldon did his math right :)

Also: The formula doesn't actually get you exactly what you had in Arindal, it will actually end up higher for everyone.
Correct. Our goal is to bring you up to X% over what you had in Arindal. So, if I did the math correctly (maths is hard!), the formula is something like this: ranks to add = 1.x*Arindal ranks - current ranks

If Slarty's scripts are correct, you'll get these bonus ranks slowly enough to give you an opportunity to learn CL and train wisely.

And, once again, some of the transitioning Arindal folks haven't contacted GygesGM. So, if you're in that boat, please do so promptly and CC me. I'll do this loading again in v669, but that's my deadline for rank adds (well...unless I screw this up for this update, then I'll postpone the final update to v672.)
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM
Cinnamon wrote:I think you're one of the best GMs I've ever been frustrated with. 11 years & counting. I'm a loyal CL addict & you're a big part of why. For being willing to stick your chin out, many thanks.

Slartibartfast
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Slartibartfast » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:06 am

Slartibartfast wrote:Quick answer: Until you reach 1000 ranks (assuming Eldon did his math right :)
Eldon wrote:If Slarty's scripts are correct, you'll get these bonus ranks slowly enough to give you an opportunity to learn CL and train wisely.
Oh man, we're assuming Eldon can do math and that I can code. This is doomed to failure. ;)

Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone
Profession: Healer

Post by Lorikeet » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:26 am

Pardon me for butting in here, but I had apparently misinterpreted your intentions. I thought you were allowing the Arindal immgrants a chance to see the ClanLord beginning content, get to know the system before deciding what to train, and then get their Arindal ranks in a faster-than-normal-but-still-slow-steady-stream. I thought the time they are putting in now, even though they are ranking faster than they would if they had had their Arindal ranks first, would be on top of what they were going to get from Arindal. That would give them the incentive to play hard now, to be better later. From what I've just read, it sounds like there is a cap in some way, and working hard now won't do anything to improve standing in the future when the Arindal ranks come in. Is that the case, or have I misread something? It's been so nice to have an influx of new players. I can't believe anyone would begrudge them the additional ranks they have earned here.

Maeght
Trainer
Profession: Ranger
Race: Halfling

Post by Maeght » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:32 am

Lorikeet wrote:Pardon me for butting in here, but I had apparently misinterpreted your intentions. I thought you were allowing the Arindal immgrants a chance to see the ClanLord beginning content, get to know the system before deciding what to train, and then get their Arindal ranks in a faster-than-normal-but-still-slow-steady-stream. I thought the time they are putting in now, even though they are ranking faster than they would if they had had their Arindal ranks first, would be on top of what they were going to get from Arindal. That would give them the incentive to play hard now, to be better later. From what I've just read, it sounds like there is a cap in some way, and working hard now won't do anything to improve standing in the future when the Arindal ranks come in. Is that the case, or have I misread something? It's been so nice to have an influx of new players. I can't believe anyone would begrudge them the additional ranks they have earned here.
I agree. I know it makes the maths harder, but how about figuring out which is the better outcome of the two and giving them that?

Odds are the multiplier ends up with more, but it'd be nice if hard work was overwritten by a broad stroke.

Slartibartfast
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Slartibartfast » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:15 pm

Maeght wrote:
Lorikeet wrote:Pardon me for butting in here, but I had apparently misinterpreted your intentions. I thought you were allowing the Arindal immgrants a chance to see the ClanLord beginning content, get to know the system before deciding what to train, and then get their Arindal ranks in a faster-than-normal-but-still-slow-steady-stream. I thought the time they are putting in now, even though they are ranking faster than they would if they had had their Arindal ranks first, would be on top of what they were going to get from Arindal. That would give them the incentive to play hard now, to be better later. From what I've just read, it sounds like there is a cap in some way, and working hard now won't do anything to improve standing in the future when the Arindal ranks come in. Is that the case, or have I misread something? It's been so nice to have an influx of new players. I can't believe anyone would begrudge them the additional ranks they have earned here.
I agree. I know it makes the maths harder, but how about figuring out which is the better outcome of the two and giving them that?

Odds are the multiplier ends up with more, but it'd be nice if hard work was overwritten by a broad stroke.
There are a number of reasons beyond "making the math harder" that this option isn't the way to go. People have been playing for varying periods of time, they didn't all come over right after Arindal officially closed down. We're still giving ranks to those people (that we're aware of), if they are under what they had in Arindal. Do you count their existing ranks too? Only the ranks they gained in the past month? It isn't reasonable to do a case by case analysis like that.

Furthermore, even if that wasn't an issue, you're still ending up rewarding people who played the most in a fairly short period of time, by a pretty large amount (considering how easy ranks come as a newbie). Such that say, if you happened to spent 80 hours playing during that period, and got to keep the ranks plus full acceleration, you'd have a 400 hour advantage over someone who didn't play at all, got the acceleration, then played. All things considered, the way we're approaching it is the fairest way to do it, and regardless, there is no way it is changing before the update deadline.