Dynamic Titles.

Polls, discussion and commentary on suggested issues.

Moderators: Lorikeet, CL GMs

Great Idea?

Yes. This would give me more to train for, and play for.
61%
Yes. But needs to be implemented differently. (post below.)
19%
No. For this reason. (post below.)
20%

Total votes: 54

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Destroyer of Worlds
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Active

Dynamic Titles.

Post by Daimoth » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:28 am

This is a pretty neat idea that Crunch and I have been tossing around. I originally was inspired by the 'Nethack' game that used to come every April Fools. Where you have a title that is based around the ranks your character has trained. So naturally, it seemed that it'd be a neat little RP thing that could be implemented in the game as a whole.

While having no bearing on actual gameplay and classes, Dynamic Titles would simply offer a new fun, Roleplay-related quest to pursue. In that you might want to train a specific way to acquire a certain title. Of course, people may not like the title or feel that their title misrepresents their character. Which is why having the option to use the Dynamic Title or not would be integrated as well.

Let's say for instance, you are a fighter heavily involved with Atkus and Darkus. You would have the option of using the title "Slayer" (working name.) as your class. If you do not enjoy this title, you can instead simply choose to be a Fighter. Or if you're subclassed, a Ranger or Champion.

Here's an example for a command-line;
\option /title list
("Your options for a title are: Slayer, Fighter.")
\option /title slay
\option /title fig

--Or, to prevent spamming of the change in title, there could be an NPC in the temple or town-hall that you pay 1,000c to change your title to another one available.

Now, titles could apply readily to both Fighters and Healers. (Mystics, are another story, as I think by design, Mystics don't want you having any notion of an idea in regards to what they're training.)

Different titles would be made available depending on your top two single stats in your class. For instance, with fighters, there would be 15 alternative Dynamic Titles available;

Atkus/Darkus
Atkus/Regia
Atkus/Balthus
Atkus/Histia
Darkus/Regia
Darkus/Balthus
Darkus/Detha
Darkus/Histia
Regia/Balthus
Regia/Detha
Regia/Histia
Balthus/Detha
Balthus/Histia
Detha/Histia

Each of these would warrant the unlocking of a specific Dynamic Title. You could only have one optional title at a time.

For example, a Darkus/Histia emphasis could be Juggernaut, whereas an Atkus/Balthus emphasis could be a Fencer. The same rules would apply of course, to Healers.

Because of the fact that many combination trainers are heavy in things like Balthus and Regia, and because, generally, it's a trend for people to train to be higher in things like Detha than in Histia, it would be rare to see things like an Atkus/Histia emphasis. Because of this, the value of certain ranks contributing towards a Dynamic Title would have to be higher than others.

So, Atkus and Histia's value would be higher than Balthus, Regia or Detha. While trainers like Darkus would probably be in the middle.

Conversely with Healers, Faustus, Higgrus, Rodnus (from Sprite or Spritus.) and Proximus would be of a higher Dynamic Title value than Respia. Sespus and Horus would be somewhere in the middle.

Example; If a Fighter had 600 Atkus, 600 Histia, 700 Detha and a good deal of swing ranks, they'd probably be considered an Atkus/Histia emphasis.

Example; A healer with 600 Faustus, 600 Higgrus and 900 Respia would be considered a Faustus/higgrus Emphasis.

In conclusion, this would offer and encourage more creativity to training, and would not hinder those who do not wish to attain what title their training warrants, as they can just assume the title of their base class. Fun both for roleplayers and rankwhores alike, so everyone wins.

If you have any title ideas to suggest please, do so below. Thanks again to Crunch for a lot of the suggestions and helping with the implementation and balance ideas.
Last edited by Daimoth on Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Extreme level disparity is community disparity.

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath

Re: Dynamic Titles.

Post by Daimoth » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:57 am

Title idea compilation; (not all are mine.)

Fighter.
Warrior, Slayer, Defender, Paladin, Templar, Hunter, Rogue, Assassin, Juggernaut, Striker, Fencer, Brute, Ravager, Guard, Guardian, Skirmisher, Raider, Marauder, Enforcer, Berserker, Clasher, Warlord, Gladiator.

Healer.
Rejuvenator, Spiritualist, Sage, Druid, Cleric, Priest(ess), Shaman, Witch Doctor, Monk, Chemist, Naturalist, Purist, Paladin(eh)...

So, healers are tougher, but I'm sure there are a lot more out there.
Last edited by Daimoth on Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Kerrah
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Champion
Player Status: Inactive

Post by Kerrah » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:00 am

Daimoth wrote: So, healers are tougher, but I'm sure there are a lot more out there.
I'd imagine people whose primary characters are healers would have the best input for this. I'd be most interested in hearing ideas from Lori, Mephisto, and Hunter.

Tip'ii
Exile
Profession: Ranger
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Tip'ii » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:41 am

So, new exile Charlie gets off the boat... After 10 Skea, Charlie becomes a fighter and trains Evus for 180 ranks. He adds 10 ranks of Atkus, take the test and kills the ferals. Now he trains 10 ranks of Darkus. Then he switches his title to "Slayer Charlie"...? Is this how you envision this working?

What happens when he then trains 20 Histia? Does his Slayer title automatically go away? Is he forced to pony up another 1000c to get his new title?

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath

Post by Daimoth » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:53 am

Tip'ii wrote:So, new exile Charlie gets off the boat... After 10 Skea, Charlie becomes a fighter and trains Evus for 180 ranks. He adds 10 ranks of Atkus, take the test and kills the ferals. Now he trains 10 ranks of Darkus. Then he switches his title to "Slayer Charlie"...? Is this how you envision this working?
That's a very good question. I imagine Dynamic Titles would be best starting at third or fourth circle. When people start sinking into training roles. I should've probably clarified.
Tip'ii wrote:What happens when he then trains 20 Histia? Does his Slayer title automatically go away? Is he forced to pony up another 1000c to get his new title?
Well, if he trained enough Histia to get out of his role, then I suppose he'd be warned that he lost his title but acquired another one, that he can change to with 1,000c, yeah. Until then he'd be reverted to Fighter, or his Subclass.

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Eldon » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:12 am

As long as it's a static list, I'm not opposed to this idea. I shudder to think if we allowed something like tattoos but for titles. :)

But, of course, we'd have to change every script that calls titles. Hrmmm.... Let think on this. It's definitely post-PayPal IPN fixing, but I like it.
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM
Cinnamon wrote:I think you're one of the best GMs I've ever been frustrated with. 11 years & counting. I'm a loyal CL addict & you're a big part of why. For being willing to stick your chin out, many thanks.

Eden
Fenix Fire
Fenix Fire
Profession: Fighter
Race: Thoom

Post by Eden » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:35 am

Daimoth wrote:Title idea compilation; (not all are mine.)

Fighter.
Warrior, Slayer, Defender, Paladin, Templar, Hunter, Rogue, Assassin, Juggernaut, Striker, Fencer, Brute, Ravager, Guard, Guardian, Skirmisher, Raider, Marauder, Enforcer, Berserker, Clasher, Warlord, Gladiator.

Healer.
Druid, Cleric, Priest(ess), Shaman, Witch Doctor, Monk, Chemist, Naturalist, Purist, Paladin(eh)...

So, healers are tougher, but I'm sure there are a lot more out there.
Thanks Dai! I can finally and truly be thee "Warrior" Thoom! (Just make sure that title goes to Evus rich fighters or thoom only! LOL!)
Savior wrote: It's a good thing other races can't join us. They would be overwhelmed with desire in the presence of all the Thoom, and then we'd have to fight off the monsters AND them.

Fogtripper
Noble
Profession: Walker of Ether

Post by Fogtripper » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:54 am

I am luke warm on this. Folks should be known by their actions, rather than a title tacked onto their names. It's would be good that it would be optional, but I still don't see the value. Perhaps used when forming a hunting party? I think good RP does the job well enough without titles. I know that Noivad is (well, thinks he is) the sherrif, Eden is a (the) warrior thoom, I am a target dummy, etc.

Personally, I am wondering at the folks currently walking around with names that include things like "Commander". Being under the impression that titles should not be put in names (would be removed).

Fake edit: I can think of a few off the 5-minute fix list that I'd sooner see implemented.

Real Edit: I would rather give clans a 5-option list of titles they could create. Used for clan rank or RP (pirate terms for the pirates for example).

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath

Post by Daimoth » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:20 am

Fogtripper wrote: but I still don't see the value.
The value would be purely roleplay-related. Why be something as generic as a Fighter when you can be something very specficially in-line with your style?

The beauty of it being, if you don't enjoy the title, you can keep that of your class. I love the title 'Champion', and I'd have no problem reverting to it if I had a Dynamic Title that I felt didn't match my character.

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath

Post by Daimoth » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:34 am

Eldon wrote:As long as it's a static list, I'm not opposed to this idea. I shudder to think if we allowed something like tattoos but for titles. :)
Indeed. Michael being a male Mother-Fucker, and Cody as the pwnz0r probably wouldn't go over too well.
Eldon wrote:But, of course, we'd have to change every script that calls titles.
You mean, /info? Or are there more involved that I may not be aware of?

Xel
Noble

Post by Xel » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:36 am

I really like this.

*Really* like this.

Edit: Dai, he means the scripts where various NPC's say things to you like "Hail, Lord Daimoth." I think he's assuming that the title ought to replace your Lord status.
"Barrin taught me that the hardest lessons to grasp are the ones you've already learned."

Overlord
Exile

Post by Overlord » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:44 am

Fogtripper wrote:I am luke warm on this. Folks should be known by their actions, rather than a title tacked onto their names. It's would be good that it would be optional, but I still don't see the value. Perhaps used when forming a hunting party? I think good RP does the job well enough without titles. I know that Noivad is (well, thinks he is) the sherrif, Eden is a (the) warrior thoom, I am a target dummy, etc.

Personally, I am wondering at the folks currently walking around with names that include things like "Commander". Being under the impression that titles should not be put in names (would be removed).

Fake edit: I can think of a few off the 5-minute fix list that I'd sooner see implemented.

Real Edit: I would rather give clans a 5-option list of titles they could create. Used for clan rank or RP (pirate terms for the pirates for example).
Xel wrote:I really like this.

*Really* like this.

Edit: Dai, he means the scripts where various NPC's say things to you like "Hail, Lord Daimoth." I think he's assuming that the title ought to replace your Lord status.
Actually, going by what Dai has said referring to Champion, what he is referring to is the part of the /info that says:

Daimoth is of The People. Is a "Champion". And so on. I think perhaps what he is suggesting is something that would allow you to change that (using the system stated above) to something like:

Daimoth is of The People. Is a "Slayer". Etc and so on.

I felt I should add those 2cents because I think what Fogtripper is thinking is you would then be shown as "Slayer Daimoth" as your name under your icon. Not in the /info. Which is also different than what Xel is thinking, when you talk to NPC's like the Nogurd and Sogurd and they greet you (they do greet you, right?). Lord Overlord (yea, my name is one of those Fogtripper is complaining about :-p ) or so on and such. I don't think I have ever really paid any attention to what hte NPC's call me though.

I may be wrong Dai, but is that what you were referring to? The /info section of your... character type?
Cinnamon wrote:Ever feel like you organised a rally for the homeless only to have anti-abortion and anti-american and pro-gay activists show up and that guy with the rainbow wig and his John 3:16 sign?

Fogtripper
Noble
Profession: Walker of Ether

Post by Fogtripper » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:45 am

Daimoth wrote:
Fogtripper wrote: but I still don't see the value.
The value would be purely roleplay-related. Why be something as generic as a Fighter when you can be something very specficially in-line with your style?

The beauty of it being, if you don't enjoy the title, you can keep that of your class. I love the title 'Champion', and I'd have no problem reverting to it if I had a Dynamic Title that I felt didn't match my character.
Again, those who RP their role well, don't need a title. Those who train heavily in a certain way are already known to be such.

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Eldon » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:16 am

Daimoth wrote:You mean, /info? Or are there more involved that I may not be aware of?
I thought you'd want each NPC that says "Lord Daimoth" to use your alternative title too? If you just want to change /info, that's an easier change.
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM
Cinnamon wrote:I think you're one of the best GMs I've ever been frustrated with. 11 years & counting. I'm a loyal CL addict & you're a big part of why. For being willing to stick your chin out, many thanks.

Xel
Noble

Post by Xel » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:38 am

-=(Overlord)=- wrote:Actually, going by what Dai has said referring to Champion, what he is referring to is the part of the /info that says:
Yes, I was explaining to Dai that Eldon was referring to "Lord Eldon", contrasted with Dai's /info notion. You're just saying the same thing.

Edit: So I suppose we need a list of titles, that everyone is going to disagree on for three months because it doesn't fit their character? Sounds like fun.
"Barrin taught me that the hardest lessons to grasp are the ones you've already learned."