Making Semi-Permanant Dyes Permanant.

Polls, discussion and commentary on suggested issues.

Moderators: Lorikeet, CL GMs

Permanant Dyes; more variety!

Yes, there should just be more options for permanant dyes.
70%
Yes, but it should work with the semi-permanant options. (like below.)
11%
No, just keep putting it on. Over and over. Forever.
19%
I'm impartial, really.
No votes

Total votes: 27

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Destroyer of Worlds
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Active

Making Semi-Permanant Dyes Permanant.

Post by Daimoth » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:57 pm

Would it be possible to make the Semi-Permanant Dyes Permanant? My character has been applying the Gray skin dye so long to match his old Fen/tough as a rock/gothic-emo/whatever thing that he's probably out well over 20k by now. But more than that, the mere issue of having to reapply it periodically is a bit of a pain.

Could it be possible to make permanant dyes of these colors for a large price, or perhaps make it possible that reapplying semi-permanants for a while makes it permanant eventually?
Extreme level disparity is community disparity.

xepel
Trainer
Profession: Bard
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Active

Re: Making Semi-Permanant Dyes Permanant.

Post by xepel » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:23 pm

I think the point of the skin dyes are to be recurring costs as one of the "drains" in CL's mostly-broken economy. They're a luxury, you pay luxury prices for them.

Basically, if it becomes permanent after a bunch of applications, you are rewarding the people who have lots of coins by allow them to... pay less coins. Just breaking the economy more.

Now, I don't think skin dyes are *too* much of a problem. If you don't like them wearing off at random times during a hunt or whatnot, you can get touch-ups already for less than full price. I think that a good solution for this would be to allow you to "pay ahead" - pay a bunch extra (so they apply "lots of extra dye") and it lasts that much longer. Like paying ahead for housing, so you don't get a bunch of letters saying you're behind on your payments.

It still keeps the "forever cost", but allows you to sink another 10k into it so that you don't have to bother with it for months.
Helpful GM exclaims, "Mystics can fly and walk through walls. They don't need boats on the water, and they can teleport at will!"

Elindir'
Order of the White Elephant
Order of the White Elephant

Post by Elindir' » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:25 pm

Dyes have always been unattractive to me because of the cost for a semi-permanent change. Otherwise, I think they are great and add character to each exile. Yes please!

Sephiroth
Exile

Post by Sephiroth » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:35 pm

xepel wrote:I think that a good solution for this would be to allow you to "pay ahead" - pay a bunch extra (so they apply "lots of extra dye") and it lasts that much longer. Like paying ahead for housing, so you don't get a bunch of letters saying you're behind on your payments.

It still keeps the "forever cost", but allows you to sink another 10k into it so that you don't have to bother with it for months.
I like this.

Kani
Red Quill
Red Quill
Profession: Ranger
Race: Sylvan

Post by Kani » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:37 pm

As far as recurring costs like this are concerned, it would be nice if both skin dyes and post office boxes allowed you to pay ahead. Housing and storage already do, thankfully.
The obstacle is the path.

shiner
Exile
Profession: I hit things
Race: Ghorak Zo
Player Status: Spambot

Post by shiner » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:07 pm

I wish some of the "paint" colors were available as skin dye colors!

Michael
Trainer

Post by Michael » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:31 am

And here we have another example of how CL makes something that could be fun frustrating by adding "rent" to it. Rent sucks fucking shit in an MMO. It should only exist on things that offer no other options.

But CL refuses to evolve, so dont expect this to change. Its a game stuck in 2001.

Fogtripper
Noble
Profession: Walker of Ether

Post by Fogtripper » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:55 am

I'd go for permanent, but while adjusting the dyes I'd take it a step further and require materials to create the dyes like the clothing colors. This would mean allowing more shades and such with multiple applications/bleaches (Hey, it worked to Michael Jackson)

The clothing dye system looks pretty stable and it is cost prohibitive enough as designed. I see no reason why skin dye/bleach would be any different.

Fake edit: Of course, this could be one thing that would work well as a tier in a possible free/pay system, on top of not having reoccuring rent on housing/mailbox,storage, etc.

Xepel, requesting an "other" option on the poll.

Michael
Trainer

Post by Michael » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:04 pm

Fogtripper wrote: The clothing dye system looks pretty stable and it is cost prohibitive enough as designed. I see no reason why skin dye/bleach would be any different.
Wrong. The bullshit rent system is also built into clothing, they have to be repaired too. And dying them makes the repair costs go up.

Fogtripper
Noble

Post by Fogtripper » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:18 am

Michael wrote:
Fogtripper wrote: The clothing dye system looks pretty stable and it is cost prohibitive enough as designed. I see no reason why skin dye/bleach would be any different.
Wrong. The bullshit rent system is also built into clothing, they have to be repaired too. And dying them makes the repair costs go up.
It's built into clothing, however I like that exiles can do the repairs. Also, the "more expensive dyed" goes along with the "cost prohibitive as designed" thing.

Are you OK with armor needing repairs?

Michael
Trainer

Post by Michael » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:22 am

Fogtripper wrote: Are you OK with armor needing repairs?
No, that sucks too. Its far to costly for something that wears at random.

CLs entire item system is garbage.

Fogtripper
Noble

Post by Fogtripper » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:52 am

Michael wrote:
Fogtripper wrote: Are you OK with armor needing repairs?
No, that sucks too. Its far to costly for something that wears at random.

CLs entire item system is garbage.
Do you see a point to money in CL beyond paying for the advanced libraries?
Let me rephrase that:
Is there anything you personally spend coins on besides the library that you have no issue with?

Raul
Noble

Post by Raul » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:11 pm

houses

Crunch
Exile
Profession: Fighter
Race: Ghorak Zo

Post by Crunch » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:40 pm

I am basically with Michael and Daimoth on this one. I think maintenance costs mostly amount to lazy (or understaffed) design. In theory it allows you to get easy replayability. Everyone has to keep logging on to get the coins. Instant reason to play the game! However, it becomes playing the game not for progress or for fun, but to avoid going backwards (losing your item, or whatever). This is a fact of real life, but as Michael says, one that probably shouldn't taint a game. I think the smart solution is, as Daimoth implies, to make a one-time high-cost alternative to the maintenance costs (20k? I don't know). This actually works the other way around: it gives you a goal to work towards, and a sense of progress. It makes you play for weeks or months rather than indefinitely, but is getting indefinite mandatory play time really a sensible expectation for something like skin dye?

The library is the right kind of coinsink. You can pay extra to progress even faster. Very different than paying due to threat and fear (sounds overblown, but appropriate, I think).

Being able to pay ahead is an OK compromise. It doesn't really solve the problem, but at least it makes negative feelings due to playing the game happen less often.

Michael
Trainer

Post by Michael » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:05 am

Fogtripper wrote: Do you see a point to money in CL beyond paying for the advanced libraries?
Let me rephrase that:
Is there anything you personally spend coins on besides the library that you have no issue with?
NEW things. Like adding trophies to your house, or new a new chair. That kind of stuff is where money should be going.

But CL lacks a real item system, so the truth is there are few things to spend money on. The answer to that is not taxing the fuck out of everything though, but the CL GMs have yet to figure that out so I suspect they never will.