Create a Donation Fund for Ads

Polls, discussion and commentary on suggested issues.

Moderators: Lorikeet, CL GMs

Should DT create a fund?

Yes, I'd donate!
57%
Yes, but I wouldn't donate
33%
No, this idea stinks
10%

Total votes: 21

Lundar
E'las Loth'mon Ferindril
Profession: Mystic
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Spambot

Create a Donation Fund for Ads

Post by Lundar » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:13 pm

One of the greatest problems with Clan Lord is that the population is declining because the game lacks advertizing. The problem with advertizing, is that it costs money.

To solve these problems, I propose that Delta Tao create a donation based fund that would be used for advertizing. The fund could be something as simple as a PayPal button on the Clan Lord homepage that people could donate money to. Once the fund had gathered enough money, it could be used to purchase ads in Mac specific magazines.

I'm sure there are many players willing to throw in a few dollars if it means more players for CL, and a better gaming experience.

-Lundar

Cinnamon
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Post by Cinnamon » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:58 am

Sure, go nuts. I wouldn't donate. I've donated $10/month for close to 8 years, none of which has ever been invested in maintaining the influx of new players.

Fundin
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Profession: Ranger
Race: Dwarf
Player Status: Active

Post by Fundin » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:18 am

Put an option for a maybe. Sure id think about it, but i want to know that DT wants to advertise and just can't due to funds. If they want to, then id donate some money.
99 Bottles of Beer on the wall....
and 99 in my fridge :-D

------
CLAN LORD MAP REPOSITORY
Old maps, new maps, got any maps?
http://www.tidyup.co.uk/clanlord/site/index.html

Athl
Exile
Race: Fen'neko

Re: Create a Donation Fund for Ads

Post by Athl » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:16 am

Firstly, sorry for reviving a really old thread.

Secondly, I've been thinking about google ads. I did a review some time ago although I've stopped role playing since then; I've been thinking of paying for google ads for that review linking to the home page. But I don't know how Joe would feel about that.

What does everyone think? And if someone was willing to pay for their own google ads, what would be the best thing to advertise? Maybe someone could make up a simple and appealing website linking the main page. Just my thoughts. Cheers.
"Athl has fallen to myrms in his pants."

Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone
Profession: Healer

Post by Lorikeet » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:28 am

Athl wrote:Firstly, sorry for reviving a really old thread.

Secondly, I've been thinking about google ads. I did a review some time ago although I've stopped role playing since then; I've been thinking of paying for google ads for that review linking to the home page. But I don't know how Joe would feel about that.

What does everyone think? And if someone was willing to pay for their own google ads, what would be the best thing to advertise? Maybe someone could make up a simple and appealing website linking the main page. Just my thoughts. Cheers.
Probably better to wait and see if Buster comes back. He was apparently a newbie acceleration experiment and I don't know if people untraining and using him messed it up or what, but he's gone now.

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Daimoth » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:54 am

Definitely need buster back, at a minimum. We arent going to retain anyone with how things are now. Weve been losing the majority of our new blood to level gap 10 years ago, and things are only worse now. All the current content and playerbase is at mountain level now, and that takes at least around 2000 intelligently placed ranks to START participating in

But id donate
Extreme level disparity is community disparity.

Athl
Exile

Post by Athl » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:32 pm

I hope buster returns. I heard about the newbie accelerator.

Would anyone like to donate to a reddit ad? I posted on reddit the review I did and we received over 350 views on the blogsite with the review even though I put the text inside the reddit post. For like $50 you can get advertising which shows posts across all subreddits. It could potentially get thousands of views each day. Should we wait for Buster?
"Athl has fallen to myrms in his pants."

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Daimoth » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:35 pm

Yes, buster is a minimum req if were gonna retaim anyone. Any gm have info regarding buster?
Extreme level disparity is community disparity.

Destian
Trainer
Profession: Healer/Slug Wrangler
Race: Human
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Destian » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:31 am

Daimoth wrote:Definitely need buster back, at a minimum. We arent going to retain anyone with how things are now. Weve been losing the majority of our new blood to level gap 10 years ago, and things are only worse now. All the current content and playerbase is at mountain level now, and that takes at least around 2000 intelligently placed ranks to START participating in
This.

My offer of making a series of informational videos about CL still stands, but only when we have newbie acceleration that works for all classes, not just fighters.

Otherwise, we'll run into the same issue where the fighterbase grows but the healer population remains stagnant. Ergo we'll lose many of those fighters just because they have no healer peers and running back to Stora every 2 minutes for a heal is a great way to convince these new fighters that they could be having more fun elsewhere.

Last I heard, Buster's exp gain only worked on exp from kills, not shares (though I could be mistaken). All we need is for this to apply to share exp as well and we'd be golden...
A video guide to healer pets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6ejD_9X1io
"Solomon chuckles"