Monster Suggestions (was Construction Prjt: Defence Towers)

Polls, discussion and commentary on suggested issues.

Moderators: Lorikeet, CL GMs

What do you think of the Defence Tower ideas?

I like the first one.
20%
I like the second one.
No votes
I like both ideas.
7%
Meh, they have potential, but (one or both) ideas need tweaking.
13%
I don't like either one of these ideas.
60%

Total votes: 15

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Eldon » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:24 pm

Usagi wrote:How about creatures that hunt in packs? If there aren't enough of them around, they cower away, but once they have lots and lots, they mob you. This AI would be delicious when combined with, say, ferals.
We actually have some of these. But, I think we could have a few more to increase variety to existing creatures.
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM
Cinnamon wrote:I think you're one of the best GMs I've ever been frustrated with. 11 years & counting. I'm a loyal CL addict & you're a big part of why. For being willing to stick your chin out, many thanks.

Xel
Noble

Post by Xel » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:38 pm

I always loved Scarmis Attendant and Orga Zealot AI during certain invasions. The Scarmis kinda dance and stick together, while the Zealots advance in a line formation. Perhaps It would work better if they worked in a phalanx formation? The ones in front protect the ones in back. Add some melée orga to that formation and you've got an interesting fight.

-Xel
"Barrin taught me that the hardest lessons to grasp are the ones you've already learned."

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Destroyer of Worlds
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Active

Post by Daimoth » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:48 pm

Orga Spites are awesome. I love how if you get a good spawn going they'll just completely swamp your rod.

noivad
Order of the White Elephant
Order of the White Elephant
Profession: Fighter
Race: Sylvan

My Fav

Post by noivad » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:40 pm

I love how Lyfe's move. It's exactly what I envisioned. I think a new creature could be cool if it attacked everyone surrounding it simultaneously with one pulse. Like the astral guardian should, and maybe a new type of slime monster. I'm not talking about splash damage. I'm thinking it relies of physical contact with each attacker. Maybe it could be a floating eye, or creature with all faces and hungry mouths around it or something. Basically something only a wizard like Geraldus could create.

Bakunan
Exile

Post by Bakunan » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:25 pm

A while ago, had a back-and-forth with Eldon about having creatures (esp. during invasions) that would preferentially target exiles of about their toughness. (But if I were a lot closer, it would still target me instead of someone tougher.) But since that was in the works, I won't bring it up again. :wink:

Someone mentioned a vampiric creature. Make any damage it inflicts be sorta-poison damage. Your health bar wouldn't continue draining, but any damage it does do is yellowed out, and slow to disappear (like poison-recovery). I'd make tykans still wipe out this type of damage.

Counterpuncher: Start with the feral AI. After the creature gets back to full balance, have it delay swinging for a bit. If someone attacks it during that delay, it will strike back at that person. (Kinda like most exiles do, wait for the target to swing first.)

Blue drakes: Electic bonus attack, instead of fire (like forest and fire drakes). Black drakes would spit acid.

Have a killer myrms: they are all rodan panther-like, but if you kill one, the rest of them attack you.

For fun, inspired by Monty Python's Scott of the Antarctic: a 20-ft tall giant electric penguin, with tentacles. When it dies, it's blood goes gushing out in slow motion. Despite being really tough, it is vulnerable to boomerangs and arrows.

More MP: Penguins that explode when you kill (slaughter) them. Spiny Normal, a hedgehog creature that can spawn from regular feral to double-swamp feral size. (It would preferentially attack Dinsdale.) An african swallow: short-range coconut attack (pebbles), may drop a cacao pod when you kill it. A town invasion by rebels, who periodically yell (or SS) "Spam spam spam".

Garr
Exile

Post by Garr » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:55 pm

I like the black widow's web ability. More critters with that ability would be fun.

-Garr
I still hate Erthor!

Priapus
Fresh off the Boat

Post by Priapus » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:34 pm

I think a new set of orgas that attack primarily with a physical ranged attack (as opposed to the lightning) would add a lot to the world. Have them throw javelins (axes, etc) from a distance. They would scale up in an analogous way to the big melee type of orgas, but with their improvements primarily going towards what type of weapons they throw.

They would operate alot like shamans, keeping distance and tossing a weapon every so often.

They could be countered by arrows (this would be an opportunity to drastically reduce the cost/difilculty of archery since there will be a reliable sink to consume the arrows), raids behind the lines to take out the javilineers, or mitigated with new exile abilities. (e.g. a mystic generated sheild that reduces the darkus of incoming missles).

Priapus
Every night, I used to pray for a bicycle. But, I realized the lord in his wisdom does not work that way. So I stole one and asked him to forgive me. -Emo Philips

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath

Post by Daimoth » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:15 pm

Orgas are bred for war. They don't need silly weapons.

Priapus
Fresh off the Boat

Post by Priapus » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:35 pm

Daimoth wrote:Orgas are bred for war. They don't need silly weapons.
No problem. Give the ability to Darshaks.
Every night, I used to pray for a bicycle. But, I realized the lord in his wisdom does not work that way. So I stole one and asked him to forgive me. -Emo Philips

Seld'kar
Noble
Profession: Ranger
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Seld'kar » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:49 pm

Some of them used to use boomerangs.
I think having an opinion makes you an asshole.

Theo
Exile
Profession: Healer
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Theo » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:24 pm

I think it was called the Orga Berseker, it looked like a weird orga, a weird orga wearing pants, if I remember.

Garr
Exile

Post by Garr » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:57 pm

Orga berserkers still around, but now they look like normal zerks, and they no longer throw boomerangs.

-Garr
I still hate Erthor!

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath

Post by Daimoth » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:06 pm

~Garr~ wrote:Orga berserkers still around, but now they look like normal zerks, and they no longer throw boomerangs.

-Garr
I think they look like Orga Warlocks actually. Except act totally different and are like as strong as an Anger. Could be wrong.

Hrothgar
Exile

Post by Hrothgar » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:20 pm

Eldon wrote:
Zynx wrote:To Eldon: You want ideas to make monsters stronger. I am on it! Unless of course, you are being sarcastic...
Not being sarcastic. Fire away. And, don't say "write better AIs." :) (I know that's needed already.)
I'm more for passive effects coming from both us and the invaders.

What if the orga had a magi who made folks around him move slower, or regenerate balthus/spirit at a slower rate. That could be a hell of a challenge to overcome.

AI be damned ;)

Zynx
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Post by Zynx » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:39 pm

Heya Folks

How about suicide attacks. Orga (or any other half intelligent critter), that walk up to a group of exiles and then blow themselves up in a flaming inferno doing a lot of damage at the epicentre and less as the explosion spread outward. They would look like normal Orgas and behave like normal Orgas. They would be one-hits for almost anybody with any kind of darkus. However, the tricky part would be identifying them before they carried out their grim deed. Call them Orga Insanes or something.

BEER!

Zynx
Frog wrote:so he is better than me at something. :(