Monster Suggestions (was Construction Prjt: Defence Towers)

Polls, discussion and commentary on suggested issues.

Moderators: Lorikeet, CL GMs

What do you think of the Defence Tower ideas?

I like the first one.
20%
I like the second one.
No votes
I like both ideas.
7%
Meh, they have potential, but (one or both) ideas need tweaking.
13%
I don't like either one of these ideas.
60%

Total votes: 15

Zynx
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Monster Suggestions (was Construction Prjt: Defence Towers)

Post by Zynx » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:21 am

Heya Folks

I got the inspiration for this one from the old catapult tower. I think it would be kinda cool if pairs of towers were built at the bridges in NE and SE Fields. These towers would then be equipped with one or both of the following defence weapons.

1. Sun Mirror: As some may know, in the real world, a mirror can be specially built to reflect and intensify the heat of the sun. It is really quite a simple contraption and was used as long ago as Ancient Greek times. What I propose here is basically exactly the same thing. The two pairs of towers would have these special mirrors that could be aimed and adjusted by mystics or other exiles. Wherever the sun's rays were directed by the mirror a patch of fire would appear. This would damage all nearby creatures. Would be a useful defence against invasions. The one limitation to these mirror towers would be their ineffectiveness during nighttime (lack of sun).

2. Static Sphere: This contraption would be charged by mystics with metal energy that would be transformed into static by the sphere. Mystics would then proceed to charge the area with negative energy. This negative energy would attract the static from the sphere, in the form of lightning, to all nearby monsters and/or exiles (within visual range of the tower), doing some damage. After a burst of energy was released by the sphere it would need to be re-charged by mystics and everything re-covered in negative energy for the weapon to be effective again.

Anyone in or on these towers would be susceptable to the attacks of whatever monsters were attacking. Orga fire and lightning could be aimed at individuals in the towers. (Same for darshak and other magically ept critters/humans.) On top of the towers at the bridges, the rat towers on the four sides of town could also be equipped with one or both of the above mentioned weapons.

BEER!

Zynx
Frog wrote:so he is better than me at something. :(

Cinnamon
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Post by Cinnamon » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:39 am

Back to the books with you! :P

Mystics don't fight.
Ranks are better than Items.
This sig pic removed by Vagile

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Eldon » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:44 am

...and exiles always win. Think of some ideas to make the creatures smarter/more powerful. :)
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM
Cinnamon wrote:I think you're one of the best GMs I've ever been frustrated with. 11 years & counting. I'm a loyal CL addict & you're a big part of why. For being willing to stick your chin out, many thanks.

Zynx
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Post by Zynx » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:56 am

Heya Folks

To Cinnamon: I know Mystics don't fight. That is why I the first suggestion exists, which does not require mystics in any way. The second one was more of a "throw it out there and hope for the best" suggestion.

To Eldon: You want ideas to make monsters stronger. I am on it! Unless of course, you are being sarcastic...

BEER!

Zynx
Frog wrote:so he is better than me at something. :(

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Eldon » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:20 pm

Zynx wrote:To Eldon: You want ideas to make monsters stronger. I am on it! Unless of course, you are being sarcastic...
Not being sarcastic. Fire away. And, don't say "write better AIs." :) (I know that's needed already.)
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM
Cinnamon wrote:I think you're one of the best GMs I've ever been frustrated with. 11 years & counting. I'm a loyal CL addict & you're a big part of why. For being willing to stick your chin out, many thanks.

Priapus
Fresh off the Boat

Post by Priapus » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:53 pm

Well with the usual caveats of 'I don't know how possible this is to script' and etc, and assuming more difficult critters does not mean 'hey lets up the atkus/darkus/detha/histia to MAXLONGINT-1', here are a few idears. If creatures already exist like this I apologize, I have been spending time reading up on the changes in lands, but nothing substitutes for time spent actually hunting.

-Give some creatures a riposte ability.
a certain percentage of attacks on the creature are reflected back onto the attacker, maybe using the attacker's atkus/darkus (or a percentage, depending)

-Give some creatures a deflect ability. When the ability goes off, the next attack does not affect the critter, and a certain percentage of the attacks characteristics (atkus/darkus) is applied to a random creature/exile adjacent to the creature originally attacked. (this may be abused, but hopefully the higher level creatures and areas this would be found in would limit this).

-area affect lobbing. Some creatures lob stinkbombs, dirty laundry, dead exiles, whatever behind the ranks of the front line fighters. Or just randomly if that is too difficult to code for. The lobbed items would temporarily reduce some stat/cause a bit of damage.

-Stuns. Some monstrously strong creatures can stun exiles (no more than a second or 2). This interrupts attacks but does not reduce Balthus. Care must be taken so chain stunning does not occur. Make this a rare attack, otherwise you can get into the frustrating scenario being stunned the entire fight. This also opens up the opportunity for new trainers that reduce or heal this kind of damage.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

-Priapus
Every night, I used to pray for a bicycle. But, I realized the lord in his wisdom does not work that way. So I stole one and asked him to forgive me. -Emo Philips

Kani
Red Quill
Red Quill
Profession: Ranger
Race: Sylvan

Post by Kani » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:18 pm

Priapus wrote:-area affect lobbing. Some creatures lob stinkbombs, dirty laundry, dead exiles, whatever behind the ranks of the front line fighters. Or just randomly if that is too difficult to code for. The lobbed items would temporarily reduce some stat/cause a bit of damage.

-Stuns. Some monstrously strong creatures can stun exiles (no more than a second or 2). This interrupts attacks but does not reduce Balthus. Care must be taken so chain stunning does not occur. Make this a rare attack, otherwise you can get into the frustrating scenario being stunned the entire fight. This also opens up the opportunity for new trainers that reduce or heal this kind of damage.
Pebbles and firebursts currently do 'splash damage' which is somewhat similar to this first idea. More complicated effects than damage would be interesting.

Orga Shaman flames stun you for a moment, and being slimed by a slime monster stuns you and starts by throwing you completely off-balance.
The obstacle is the path.

Zaerion
Fresh off the Boat
Profession: Mystic
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Zaerion » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:29 pm

In my opinion spriggins are the best support creatures there are. If you really want to mess with an army of exiles have a bunch of normal creatures attack (any kind you like) and put a couple spriggins in the back lines. It's awfully hard to fight when you have no balance.

Maybe an alliance could be formed between the Orga and the Spriggins or something.

Also, I'd like to see more specialization among creatures. Maybe it's just because I haven't been to many places but it seems like they are all "balanced". Why not have a creature that does an large amount of damage but is easily hit by the newest exile? Combine that with a creature that rarely hits but has tons of balance and is not easily hit. Then you have something rather like our methods now, brick and tag.

The best way to fight us is to mirror I strategies I think.
Death to nematocysts!

Priapus
Fresh off the Boat

Post by Priapus » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:36 pm

Kani wrote:
Priapus wrote:-area affect lobbing. Some creatures lob stinkbombs, dirty laundry, dead exiles, whatever behind the ranks of the front line fighters. Or just randomly if that is too difficult to code for. The lobbed items would temporarily reduce some stat/cause a bit of damage.

Pebbles and firebursts currently do 'splash damage' which is somewhat similar to this first idea. More complicated effects than damage would be interesting.

Orga Shaman flames stun you for a moment, and being slimed by a slime monster stuns you and starts by throwing you completely off-balance.
The variation I am suggesting is more of a lob than the insta appear of the flame burst or the relatively quick direct fire of the small rock. Sorry I didn't specify, but the lob would travel more slowly from point A to B, maybe growing slightly up to the midpoint and shrinking back to original size on the downward arc (to simulate the altitude gained by the lob, but this is very optional). This is to give creatures more behind the lines type of support/a way to cut off exiles support. I think the slowly approaching ball of orga dirty orga undies would make for a nice panic :).

Interesting about the slimes, not a creature I have encountered yet.
Every night, I used to pray for a bicycle. But, I realized the lord in his wisdom does not work that way. So I stole one and asked him to forgive me. -Emo Philips

Hoggle
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Race: Dwarf
Player Status: Active

Post by Hoggle » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:32 pm

I think it would be cool if there was a creature that blew back(same effect as sheildstone) exiles every now and again with wind.

Or how about an effect that was the complete opposite of webbing, it would spray stuff on the ground that made folks go sliding across it really fast and out of control.

Or how about.. the dredded creature healer!.. let it cad other creatures so you have to take this healing creature out first. (i know many would HATE this..)

Or... a creature that creates quakes.. (again folks would hate this..)

And geeze Zynx.. sun mirror and static sphere sound like tweaked versions of the first two ideas i just submitted not too long ago in here viewtopic.php?t=2044

-Hoggle

Seld'kar
Noble
Race: Fen'neko

Post by Seld'kar » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:59 pm

Add basalisks as high level creatures, they would have a ranged attack that temporary stoneform exiles and would get bonus aktus/darkus when attacking stoned exiles.

Make a kind of monster that only had pathing for a brief moment while they attacked.
I think having an opinion makes you an asshole.

Leinis
Exile

Post by Leinis » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:27 pm

Zynx, can you please stop copying others ideas and seeing how many people like you for it? And can you please use the old standard polling options?

Anyways for new creatures:

Something with a stonegirdle where whenever it gets hit it stops moving for a moment and it gains 2000 more Detha.

Greater Spectres, like Lesser's but more Atkus and less negative Troilus.

Kojiro's (I think) idea of trampling monsters that would attack then pull an exile.

Witches that polymorph you into frogs for a period of time.

Pixie dust throwing monsters that have a chance of dropping pixie dust.

Icy monsters that slow exiles on when they hit.

BROC (Big Red Orga on Crack) Like a Hatred just harder and faster that has a chance of dropping an ingredient for an alchemist to use for a power up potion.

Vampiric monsters that either grow stronger each time they hit or gain some health back each time they hit.

Poison breath monsters.

Greater Sand Wurms that can swallow exiles alive.

Feral on speed. Like any feral but 10 times faster.

Trap set monsters that lay snares or runes of pain.
Crius yells, "We've got a situation here! There's a vampire cat!"

Grok
Public Relations
Profession: Bloodmage

Post by Grok » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:25 pm

what the hell do you think this is? Dungeons and Dragons????

Rhone
Exile

Post by Rhone » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:08 pm

A creature that attacks on randomness.

It may attack weaker than the first time or stronger the next time. A creature with no absolutes other than existence. It may take any shape or form, may attack in anyway known or unknown. It may use the same attack ten times then use a different attack. Completely random. It may or may not attack. It may be completely offensive than the next second runs away at the sight of exiles. It will give completely random experience no matter the difficultly it is to kill. It may give 0 coins one day, it may give 200000 coins the next, it may steal coins. It will appear in completely random snells. It may appear in a rat tower one day, forest the next, passes the next, then purg the next ten times... But on no pattern. It may appear in the same spot a hundred times in a row that the next times at two hundred different spot.
Advocate of Reason

Usagi
Exile

Post by Usagi » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:35 am

Zaerion wrote:Maybe it's just because I haven't been to many places but it seems like they are all "balanced". Why not have a creature that does an large amount of damage but is easily hit by the newest exile?
Green, jade arachnoids.
Zaerion wrote:Combine that with a creature that rarely hits but has tons of balance and is not easily hit.
Striped arachoids, astral guardians, bunches of Orga.

I agree though, strongly specialized monsters are cool. Part of the reason they are balanced, though, is so they aren't a cakewalk. For instance, creatures that have all Histia and do no damage would be trampled by everyone, especially bloodbladders.

How about creatures that hunt in packs? If there aren't enough of them around, they cower away, but once they have lots and lots, they mob you. This AI would be delicious when combined with, say, ferals.

From a different game: long-distance poison attacks (poison that poisons, not poison that only does damage). "You get covered in acid." (Scarmis Queen, anyone?) This could do splash damage, too.

Orga Healers would be wonderful, but that's probably just a pipe dream. Imagine a Ranger running through a swarm of Lightning just to take out the Orga Healer, sacrificing himself so the group can get through--

Blah, other people had better ideas ;)

-Usagi