Non-Subclassed Fighter "Bonus" Weapon

Polls, discussion and commentary on suggested issues.

Moderators: Lorikeet, CL GMs

Jazz
Zouclougiest Alliance
Zouclougiest Alliance
Profession: Ranger
Race: Halfling
Player Status: Active
Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Non-Subclassed Fighter "Bonus" Weapon

Post by Jazz » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:04 am

I think that Fighters that choose to not sub-class should also have a "bonused" weapon that only they can train. Goss/Fell/BB are really awesome so it would be only fair I think for vanilla fighters to have something similar. I have a fighter that is vanilla and won't ever sub-class, but I really miss the specialty weapons when playing him, but am not interested at all in sub-classing him.

Would give vanilla fighters a reason to live/play again! ;-)

kthxbye
Bang a rang!

Maeght
Trainer

Re: Non-Subclassed Fighter "Bonus" Weapon

Post by Maeght » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:48 am

Since (IMO) the point of the vanilla fighter is core ranks, I'd suggest it not be a single weapon. Maybe there could be a non-subclassed fighter skill that gives a multiplier to any weapon based on that weapon's modifiers. Make it something like Slypha and Metaslypha. 30 ranks for each level. 2 x the weapon bonus for the first 30 and 3x for the next. The numbers are made up. Change em if this seems too mild.

And there could be new weapons that only the vanilla fighter could use well. Like maybe a "reach weapon that had longer range than base to base. Or a knockback weapon. Stuff like that.

It's not unusual for sub classers to have over 500 ranks in their weapon and sometimes 1000. I'd hate to see it take a lot of time to take advantage of a new thing.

Shakyamuni
Open Hands
Profession: Healer/Alchemist

Post by Shakyamuni » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:12 am

I thought Vanilla fighters can study and use all the weapons and get "most" of the benefit from them...
Husband to Drablak and Nettle - Brother to Algy and Juren

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Destroyer of Worlds
Race: Fen'neko

Post by Daimoth » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:02 pm

Fell blade (((awesome))) :?: :?: :?:
Extreme level disparity is community disparity.

Jazz
Zouclougiest Alliance
Zouclougiest Alliance

Post by Jazz » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:54 pm

Yes, it's more a desire for a non-subclassed bonus weapon only a non-subclassed fighter can train and that's different somehow from the others... like maybe just Darkus/Regia... meh... or something... +2 for 1 as per, but different stats or ability or... something. It's a dumb idea, but might give the already too late to sub-class vanilla fighter of old a reason to logon from time to time you know... just for giggles. :-)
Bang a rang!

Maeght
Trainer

Post by Maeght » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:30 pm

Shakyamuni wrote:I thought Vanilla fighters can study and use all the weapons and get "most" of the benefit from them...
Fell and Blood yes, Goss not so much.

(For a while I had some of each trained at the same time.)

Killian
Exile

Post by Killian » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:37 pm

I love the idea. But I also feel that Fighters that do not subclass will be much stronger in the long run. The support ranks for subclasses suck up a lot of slaughter and those ranks are not always useful in every situation. Most core ranks are always useful. I'm not sure a trainable weapon for them would make em better. Fun? hell ya! I'd like to see it added.
If I can help you in any way. Please ask.

Jazz
Zouclougiest Alliance
Zouclougiest Alliance

Post by Jazz » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:19 pm

Searching around the forum you can see this idea in various guises semi-often. Cecil wanted it back in the day etc.

Sub-classes do suck up a bunch of "support" ranks etc., but the bonuses involved are so high they're offset (Ranger anyways). Even at that a vanilla fighter weapon's bonus could be something weird like just 2x Regia or reduced luck whiffs or something like that. I agree that core is nice and honestly the last thing a vanilla fighter is gonna want at this point is an Atkus/Darkus bonus weapon. Haha.
Bang a rang!

Sonny_Bill
Exile
Profession: Fighter
Race: Sylvan

Post by Sonny_Bill » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:38 pm

Killian wrote:I love the idea. But I also feel that Fighters that do not subclass will be much stronger in the long run. The support ranks for subclasses suck up a lot of slaughter and those ranks are not always useful in every situation. Most core ranks are always useful. I'm not sure a trainable weapon for them would make em better. Fun? hell ya! I'd like to see it added.
I have a heap of 'fun' characters which are for my enjoyment more than anything. While people used to circle-8+ content will bag them, my favourite character now has ~1250 swengus, ~150 atkus, ~100 darkus and a greatsword (unlimited swings). Not saying others should do this, but IMO some more 'fun' weapon options would be great. Remembering... not everybody plays the game so that they can join circle-8+ hunts with the main group.

My thoughts are:
- Weapons that significantly boost your swengus, atkus and darkus could be great. And I mean SERIOUS boosts!!! Like a sword that provides 500-1000 darkus but takes away a heap of swengus (for example). Basically... MASSIVE bonuses, but also MASSIVE disadvantages to balance it out. Some percentage modifiers could be good too! Like 20% more swengus...
- More bracers!!! I know this is contentious because our overlords don't want 'fighter/healer' hybrids. However, I don't think using cloth bracers gives you enough of a bonus. I reckon you should get again... like 500-1000 extra swengus. This could somehow be balanced out (e.g. have a darkus cap or something). However, it would be great o have a serious option of doing martial arts (e.g. REALLY high atkus and swengus because you're not holding a weapon, but somehow cap it so that healers can't become fighters). On that note though... my healer/fighter has capped out for another reason. HORUS!! She doesn't have enough horus to pass circle 6.
- More armour options!!! Not 'better' armour, but like... stuff that's more accessible. Have (for example) some better leather armour, a better wooden shield, boots that increase speed (like ethereal boots... maybe only for healers or mystics or something). I dunno, I reckon more stat augmentations (using percentage modifiers).

Killian
Exile

Post by Killian » Mon May 15, 2017 6:57 pm

Sonny_Bill wrote:
Killian wrote:I love the idea. But I also feel that Fighters that do not subclass will be much stronger in the long run. The support ranks for subclasses suck up a lot of slaughter and those ranks are not always useful in every situation. Most core ranks are always useful. I'm not sure a trainable weapon for them would make em better. Fun? hell ya! I'd like to see it added.
I have a heap of 'fun' characters which are for my enjoyment more than anything. While people used to circle-8+ content will bag them, my favourite character now has ~1250 swengus, ~150 atkus, ~100 darkus and a greatsword (unlimited swings). Not saying others should do this, but IMO some more 'fun' weapon options would be great. Remembering... not everybody plays the game so that they can join circle-8+ hunts with the main group.

My thoughts are:
- Weapons that significantly boost your swengus, atkus and darkus could be great. And I mean SERIOUS boosts!!! Like a sword that provides 500-1000 darkus but takes away a heap of swengus (for example). Basically... MASSIVE bonuses, but also MASSIVE disadvantages to balance it out. Some percentage modifiers could be good too! Like 20% more swengus...
- More bracers!!! I know this is contentious because our overlords don't want 'fighter/healer' hybrids. However, I don't think using cloth bracers gives you enough of a bonus. I reckon you should get again... like 500-1000 extra swengus. This could somehow be balanced out (e.g. have a darkus cap or something). However, it would be great o have a serious option of doing martial arts (e.g. REALLY high atkus and swengus because you're not holding a weapon, but somehow cap it so that healers can't become fighters). On that note though... my healer/fighter has capped out for another reason. HORUS!! She doesn't have enough horus to pass circle 6.
- More armour options!!! Not 'better' armour, but like... stuff that's more accessible. Have (for example) some better leather armour, a better wooden shield, boots that increase speed (like ethereal boots... maybe only for healers or mystics or something). I dunno, I reckon more stat augmentations (using percentage modifiers).

A bit over the top if ya ask me. I'd like to see that in CL but I have been around to long. They will not add that. It's a slow grind we all deal with. Remember. You have more power in your words than your ranks.

It takes so much to rank in CL, you better have side projects active in game to keep you busy. Who knows, those projects may help others you have never meet.
If I can help you in any way. Please ask.