Minimum number of darkus to make armor ding

Polls, discussion and commentary on suggested issues.

Moderators: Lorikeet, CL GMs

Icy
Noble
Profession: All
Race: Dwarf
Player Status: Inactive

Minimum number of darkus to make armor ding

Post by Icy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:12 am

Hi GM's,

Please add some code to make there be a minimum number of darkus before armor wears down a level on a strike. Going afk and having a swarm of vile crickets,vermine, coacha, gcp, rats, ect. bring your armor to tatters seems implausible.

Thanks,
Icy
3/3/15 9:27:45a Icy has fallen to a Rat.

Destian
Trainer
Profession: Healer/Slug Wrangler
Race: Human
Player Status: Spambot

Re: Minimum number of darkus to make armor ding

Post by Destian » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:20 pm

I don't even wear armor and I immediately see the benefit in this idea.

/signed!
A video guide to healer pets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6ejD_9X1io
"Solomon chuckles"

Mac
Exile
Profession: PWC Salandra
Race: Ghorak Zo
Player Status: Active

Post by Mac » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:42 pm

I'd say this is a good idea only if you made it so any hits below the minimum Darkus are not resisted by the armor (i.e. those weak vermine bites wont ding your armor, but you also don't get a damage reduction from the armor).

Killian
Exile
Profession: Ranger
Race: Fen'neko

Post by Killian » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:27 pm

y'all getting me upset about detha again...
If I can help you in any way. Please ask.

FriedDylan
Exile
Profession: Champion

Post by FriedDylan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:10 pm

Mac wrote:I'd say this is a good idea only if you made it so any hits below the minimum Darkus are not resisted by the armor (i.e. those weak vermine bites wont ding your armor, but you also don't get a damage reduction from the armor).
I'm not sure I understand the logic. The armor is impervious to most anything small-ish but it essentially ceases to be 'armor' by failing to completely protect its wearer who would otherwise be protected by bigger/stronger foes?
You equip your greatsword.
You slaughtered a Frog.

Mac
Exile

Post by Mac » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:41 am

FriedDylan wrote:I'm not sure I understand the logic. The armor is impervious to most anything small-ish but it essentially ceases to be 'armor' by failing to completely protect its wearer who would otherwise be protected by bigger/stronger foes?
There wasn't a logical argument being made (at least not how you mean it). My comment was of equivalent exchange in terms of game balance. Buff armor by not letting junk wear it down while nerfing armor so that very weak hits don't have reduced damage.

If you wanted to make it a (IC) logical argument you could make any number of them to explain this change.. The easiest is to say that there's no way a rat can bite through iron armor so if it does any damage to you then it's biting you some place where the armor doesn't cover - thus the armor is not damaged, but also does not mitigate any damage.

FriedDylan
Exile

Post by FriedDylan » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:27 am

Ah okay, I didn't know we would be roll playing the 'biting you some place where the armor doesn't cover' bit. I get it that iron armor is a somewhat crude protection option given lighter alloy choices. but where does that stop and what's that math going to look like? Slime oozes between plates to get at you, palidew, neodew, mildew all do what dew does, water from elementals seeps in, fire elementals and flames light you up and don't really penetrate. leeches could slip in and.. leech, a snake could feasibly slither into a crack between your toes and bite you.

As long as allowing any of this or more to affect a wearer doesn't take from one's training of Detha then it shouldn't matter much. It might even make Detha more valuable to have.
You slaughtered a Frog.

Maeght
Trainer
Profession: Ranger
Race: Halfling

Post by Maeght » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:41 pm

Have you considered taking the armor off, especially since the context is afk?

Mac
Exile

Post by Mac » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:32 am

FriedDylan wrote:Ah okay, I didn't know we would be roll playing the 'biting you some place where the armor doesn't cover' bit.
Sorry no, that wasn't my logic at all (I was assuming you were looking for some IC way that my suggestion made sense).

My logic was "If you're going to buff an already very powerful item then you should nerf it in some other way. This nerf would make sense and I think balance the buff" (not that I see them changing the way armor works since, afaik, the coding for it is a pain in the ass).

FriedDylan
Exile

Post by FriedDylan » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:52 am

Oh I imagine this whole world is a mash of spaghetti code set atop paper thin ice! With that in mind I would personally make the change and not alter more than that- just to be safe.

Alternately the code that defines the percentages of the value Loovma has in the world could be tweaked to avoid changing the armor itself. Training of Loovma affects all races and professions equally I believe, so there's no added figuring for Champion armor bonuses etc. This way the benefit is found in training and not granted as a freebie.
You slaughtered a Frog.