Permanent "Shortcut" to Camp Dred

Polls, discussion and commentary on suggested issues.

Moderators: Lorikeet, CL GMs

Yes
93%
No
4%
Other
4%

Total votes: 28

Olaf
Fresh off the Boat
Profession: Fighter
Race: Dwarf
Player Status: Active

Post by Olaf » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:39 pm

Suggestion: A two-way mirror or shortcut connecting Puddleby to Camp Dred. No catches or impractical requirements.

The Alliance Castle is largely unoccupied and would make a good spot for a mirror, and could potentially be used as a mirror hub in the future.

However, if a mirror creates too much of an in-character dilemma regarding lore/etc, then simply add an NPC offering a Drake ride (or something similar) for a modest fee of 50c or so. One NPC in Puddleby and one NPC in Camp Dred.

The main concern with the recent portal move is that it's causing some players to vote with their feet. We can't afford to lose more players over an issue that could be resolved by a GM by the next update.

This issue is bringing out the worst in some players, and is creating a feud the game doesn't need.

Adding a two-way shortcut would satisfy those players who need or want a quick means of accessing Camp Dred, as well as freeing up a portal for those who wish to use it for exploration, experimentation, or to simply create more hunt options for players at large.

Maeght
Trainer
Profession: Ranger
Race: Halfling

Re: Permanent "Shortcut" to Camp Dred

Post by Maeght » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:07 pm

Having to make hard choices about where to put/leave the portal is part of its design. It is supposed to be a limited resource.

Cecil
Maximum Rankage
Profession: Fighter/Rankwhore
Race: Human

Post by Cecil » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:44 pm

I agree some with Maeght. But as the world gets bigger, we need faster means of travel and more of it. Just like in the real world. We used to travel by horse and boat. Now we travel by cars/trains/airplanes.
Thanks for the apology Cecil, vaginas everywhere are grateful to you.-Kalypso

Maeght
Trainer

Post by Maeght » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:25 pm

I don't oppose change. Make the access to CD part of a story. We have to tame the drakes and teach them destinations. Put out builders.

Cecil
Maximum Rankage
Profession: Fighter/Rankwhore

Post by Cecil » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:39 pm

Maeght wrote:I don't oppose change. Make the access to CD part of a story. We have to tame the drakes and teach them destinations. Put out builders.
I like that idea. That gives us 2 things to do. A storyline and fix a problem.
Thanks for the apology Cecil, vaginas everywhere are grateful to you.-Kalypso

Whirl wind
Exile
Profession: Sky Mystic

Post by Whirl wind » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:16 am

I do think IC wise mirrors wouldnt make sense given theyre linked to an ancient civilization that we dont know that much about so recreating one in a short time period is sort of conflicty with IC as far as ive personally experienced with the mirrors, however itd be an interesting arc to finding info and then creating one.

I think finding a new PF or doing some storyline would be interesting as Maeght suggested. The Orga in the area would be easy to tie into a storyline or other storylines too given the long history we have with them. Cross island travel is definitely something that as the island expands becomes more needed so I do hope some kind of solution can be reached.
Another thought is Agronox taming given the Eastern Mountains.
Who needs the Mainland? I've got a floating island!

Mac
Exile
Profession: PWC Salandra
Race: Ghorak Zo

Post by Mac » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:24 am

I'm fully supportive of there being a quick way to get between CD and Town that doesn't involve the Cloud portals.

My preferred way is the EP. If we progress the story and get the EP to "calm" so that there are less monsters and the ethereal monsters are all very weak (South forest weak), then it's a short trip between PI and the CD that already exists (and uses the EP/Kyuems for what they were intended for).

I do not support a mirror in town for access (as one of the least IC persons in the game, this is actually one thing that 100% does not make sense. IC-wise we are no where near capable of creating mirrors. This is something that was created in the earliest of times by the Second Children of the gods. We're basically nothing compared to them.) Since there are current stories going on that involve the mirrors, perhaps the GMs could allow us access to an undiscovered mirror that goes between the Foothills and somewhere (I can even think of how this can be done, but massive spoilers to talk about here).

The easiest way would be something like a Nexus expansion (re: a pathfinder that shortened the trip).

Edit:

Lots of people have no idea how the EP and Kyuems work so just to quickly illistrate how "close" the CD is via the EP.. From Portal Island you go: NE, E, N, SW to the CD Kyuem snell. If that's too far... From the S forest Kyuem you go: NW, W. Those are the two easiest ways. People will need to get Ethereal Amulets to get around the EP, but they're cheap and easy to make. Once healers/fighters have them there's really no way they break because they only need to wear them to fully traverse the EP. The Kyuems are permanent and just need to be charged with Ethercles and then there is a two way portal.

People will have to learn how to traverse the EP (there are maps) and mystics will need to step up and help, but the shortcut is there is we can just "calm" the EP (finish the story). Poke a GM asking them to please help us finish it.

Icy
Noble
Profession: All
Player Status: Inactive

Post by Icy » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:35 am

I hope this isn't too harsh but I don't believe there should be any shortcut added just because a few people are throwing a fit about portal movement. We've had far more people complain about larger topics and no action was taken. Precedence is already set, yelling until you get your way is the childish response.
3/3/15 9:27:45a Icy has fallen to a Rat.

Maeght
Trainer

Post by Maeght » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:12 am

It's because we have far less people that I think making this change should be considered.

We did get the Nexus, so it's not entirely without precedent.

Talin
Noble
Profession: Healer
Race: Sylvan

Post by Talin » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:56 pm

Thanks for the reminder where the kyuem snells are. To my knowing, where one needs the amulet in the pack (not even wearing), is where the "door" to the next snell is a few pixels wide. Not a problem to fighters easily killing or bricking the critters of SF strength, a bit more so to the other classes. Even when the critters have only SF strength. A trapped healer is way too often a dead healer. Mystic the same, I believe.

Furthermore, with all due respect, the EP calming down to SF proportions may be a strong feeling of some. I am sorry I have yet again to ask for a bit more than feelings to assume something as even likely, let alone truth. I am melodramatic like that.

That said, I am all up for continuing that story line. Also, would of course be awesome to have some quest to achieve the means of traveling to CD.

Olaf
Fresh off the Boat

Post by Olaf » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:31 pm

Talas
Exile
Race: Concealed

Post by Talas » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:45 pm

Yesterday in Fairgrounds there was a GM (i didn't save my logs and apparently i am bad with remembering names) saying that the PF nexus might get further routes.
Instead of leading to CD I'd prefer it to end up in different areas of BP/Village/Fogheaven.

Why: Well I can solo the Tearer/Trool part on the Nexus but others can't - others who are well capable of doing FH or even CD.

Nevertheless i am still happy if CD would get a PF connection.

Destian
Trainer
Profession: Healer/Slug Wrangler
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Destian » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:24 pm

I fully support any effort to make the world of CL more readily accessible because it may then allow more people to hunt there in a timely manner.

I can appreciate that the portal is supposed to be a limited resource and all that, but the key issue there is that it basically boils down to only having one quickly reachable destination for the entire community. Anyone not fit to hunt where the portal leads is SOL.

Connecting the world so that quick hunt options are available would help make more hunts happen because most folks seldom have the time to travel to a far off hunting destination, especially spontaneously.

Don't get me wrong: I like the weekend trips to book whatever and whatnot, but CL could seriously benefit from having back the good old days of spontaneous hunts to places that give worthwhile experience (and not just for ubers)...
A video guide to healer pets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6ejD_9X1io
"Solomon chuckles"

Krane
Exile
Race: Ghorak Zo
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Krane » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:09 pm

I agree with Destian, the problem is not cd, or op or foghaven or...
We need either (or a combo of) fast in/out areas, or/and Tools to travel/telepor/summon individuals or groups
I think CL would be better if places were more accessible (in general)

Sonny_Bill
Exile
Race: Sylvan

Post by Sonny_Bill » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:18 pm

Olaf wrote:Image
So father Bawkmas travels around on a fire drake?