Reform the circle tests

Polls, discussion and commentary on suggested issues.

Moderators: Lorikeet, CL GMs

Sonny_Bill
Exile
Profession: Fighter
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Active

Re: Reform the circle tests

Post by Sonny_Bill » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:55 pm

Thanks for the tips Org and Daimoth. I'll do some coining and get myself a great axe. Since I only have ~300 ranks of evus, my darkus is also a big lower so this could even help with that?

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Destroyer of Worlds
Race: Fen'neko

Post by Daimoth » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:01 pm

Sonny_Bill wrote:Thanks for the tips Org and Daimoth. I'll do some coining and get myself a great axe. Since I only have ~300 ranks of evus, my darkus is also a big lower so this could even help with that?
Yes the greataxe adds a substantial amount of damage for that level. About +50 ranks of darkus' dmg modifier if I remember right
Extreme level disparity is community disparity.

Fafnir
Exile

Post by Fafnir » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:05 pm

About the great axe don't buy a new one. There are some for sell at a substantial discount since it's of little use later.

Sonny_Bill
Exile

Post by Sonny_Bill » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:05 pm

Fafnir wrote:About the great axe don't buy a new one. There are some for sell at a substantial discount since it's of little use later.
Do you know anybody willing to sell one? I've got the cash but it would be great to save a grand or so (my friend the healer who recently passed circle 3 needs some coin for the circle 3 objects).

On that note, my friend has been largely neglected and passed circle 3 before myself. Obviously healer v fighter isn't a fair comparison. However, this particular healer has never been on a hunt, has roughly 300 ranks and they've spent 99% of their time in the free library. Also, this healer has been around for significantly more time than I have. Yes, fighters can get a lot more exp because they fight. However, I think it is semi-fair to say that it's tougher for a fighter to reach circle 3. Not complaining, just an observation that healers can pass circle 3 with half the ranks. Obviously there's solid reasoning behind this. However, there is a significant gap.

Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone
Profession: Healer

Post by Lorikeet » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:49 pm

Sonny_Bill wrote:
Fafnir wrote:About the great axe don't buy a new one. There are some for sell at a substantial discount since it's of little use later.
Do you know anybody willing to sell one? I've got the cash but it would be great to save a grand or so (my friend the healer who recently passed circle 3 needs some coin for the circle 3 objects).

On that note, my friend has been largely neglected and passed circle 3 before myself. Obviously healer v fighter isn't a fair comparison. However, this particular healer has never been on a hunt, has roughly 300 ranks and they've spent 99% of their time in the free library. Also, this healer has been around for significantly more time than I have. Yes, fighters can get a lot more exp because they fight. However, I think it is semi-fair to say that it's tougher for a fighter to reach circle 3. Not complaining, just an observation that healers can pass circle 3 with half the ranks. Obviously there's solid reasoning behind this. However, there is a significant gap.
I take it your healer has Higgrus and Faustus? That's how you pass the test.

For buying a great ax, you can do a koppi message, or you can post in the Puddleby Bazaar, down the page a bit.

Fafnir
Exile

Post by Fafnir » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:58 pm

Sonny_Bill wrote:Do you know anybody willing to sell one? I've got the cash but it would be great to save a grand or so (my friend the healer who recently passed circle 3 needs some coin for the circle 3 objects).
Yes I do. When will you log next time (preferably tell me in Pacific time)?

FriedDylan
Exile
Profession: Champion
Race: Human

Post by FriedDylan » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:15 am

I'm thinking you might have over 500 ranks in Evus, 150 in Atkus, +250 in Histia and maybe 50-99 in Darkus and easily pass the 3rd circle test with health to spare. Actually you'd likely be very much on your way to 4th with that- then perhaps focusing on Swengus. Two builds I tried tested the low end in Atkus (what Evus gives you) and the other with more ranks. At the low levels of experience Atkus was a liability where large weapons were used, having little balance and recovery to offset the swings. At fifth circle I'm now realizing the plus of Darkus and Atkus, especially now that I'm using the Tell blade more.
You equip your greatsword.
You slaughtered a Frog.

Taryn
Exile

Post by Taryn » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:21 pm

I took visionstones of my test attempts, so I could review them before my next attempt, to remind myself.

Taryn.

Icy
Noble
Profession: All
Race: Dwarf
Player Status: Inactive

Post by Icy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:00 am

I can't imagine your reaction when you get closer to passing and kill the last monster as it kills you just to hear that you failed and you have to wait another week to try again. 8)
3/3/15 9:27:45a Icy has fallen to a Rat.

Sonny_Bill
Exile

Post by Sonny_Bill » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:50 pm

FWIW I passed last night. Thanks for the advice, the greataxe did wonders. Ironically I did really poorly (2 orgas went straight at me, I got trapped early, was stuck having to separate all 4 creatures from the start, took a few hits early... also at one stage I slipped on my trackpad and ran straight at the middle of the enemies for no reason.) However, I wiggled out and eventually took control. The greataxe allowed me to hit the rage every time, and hit him harder. Also, it allowed me to kill all of the other creatures with a few less hits - so my overall workload was maybe 1/4 to 1/3 less.

MASSIVE reaction, and I'm really thankful for all the help (despite my inconsistent behaviour). Mentally this is a huge relief. Now to qualify for bb...

And FWIW it sorta contradicts my healer comparrison since my friend passed circle 3 roughly a week ago. I suspect I could have passed a while back with a greataxe since I've definitely clicked the test a LOT better than I did last night. The atkus and darkus boost was a significant factor IMO.

Ricardo
Fresh off the Boat
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Ricardo » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:19 pm

gratz bro, speaking of dying in the end with last monster, happened to me 2 days ago... XD but I will pass it next time, BTW gratz again :D
Aquel que busca el resplandor de los demás es incapaz de brillar por si mismo...

FriedDylan
Exile
Profession: Champion
Race: Human

Post by FriedDylan » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:31 pm

Sonny_Bill wrote:FWIW I passed last night.
Awesome!
You equip your greatsword.
You slaughtered a Frog.

noivad
Order of the White Elephant
Order of the White Elephant

Post by noivad » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:53 pm

Daimoth wrote:If you want to pass the test as fast as possible, never worry about training to brick anything. Health/damage passes tests the fastest by a huge margin. Limit every exchange to the trading of one (or two depending on the monster) heavy dmg attack to them and easily absorbing their attack.

There should never be an instance that you engage multiple monsters simultaneously or take two of their swings for one of yours. If there is you're just being silly. The tests make manipulating the monster movement really easy.

I agree that the great axe is the best choice of a weapon for third unless you need the GS accuracy. You need to squeeze out as much dmg as possible per exchange.
The tests do not need reformation. Listen to Dai.

Basically: Fight smarter and learn the most effective way to train for passing a test fast if you want to pass fast.
In this case Daimoth has laid out everything you need to do, so he has saved you the learning step.

BTW: I passed one of my nephews’ circle tests paying his character after he was trying for months. The prior week he failed even though I was trying to direct him. He then asked me to try it for him the next week. The difference in ranks was not much, and it all came down to technique and timing (click-skill) for the edge. If you have more than 250ms latency, then you will have to either predict timing or brute force it with taking hits and having more histia.

People forget: You can choose where to engage creatures. When outnumbered, reduce how many you face at once.

To reiterate Dai: in circle tests do not face more than one creature at a time — if you do run to a more advantageous place and when another comes move again. Do not take any unnecessary hits — hit and run if you can’t brick. The clump has an entry on Monster Terrain, and using terrain to your advantage to only face one creature. (In fact there's a screen shot on that page of Noi only having to fight one creature with about 4 or 5 more behind it because he is using the rocks to reduce the angles of attack.)
http://www.clanlord.net/
Org Du Lac's bestiary: http://bestiary.clanlord.net/index.html
Gil Galad’s Pirates http://pirates.clanlord.net/ & Ranger Studies: http://studies.clanlord.net/
?security warning:View cert•CL players assess valid by refs

Leinis
Exile

Post by Leinis » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:11 pm

Hit and run isn't always the best way to pass. Often times you can trade blows in an advantageous manner if you know what you're fighting against. For example, the Young Sasquatch in 6th has poor Regia and you can sneak in a second swing against it before turning around and running away without getting hit. This leads to a 2:1 trade of swings where just doing hit and run would trade 1:1. Likewise, you can trade with the Green Arachnoid in a 3:2 manner in the 4th circle test.
Crius yells, "We've got a situation here! There's a vampire cat!"

Sala Dragon
Exile

Post by Sala Dragon » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:40 am

Leinis wrote:Hit and run isn't always the best way to pass. Often times you can trade blows in an advantageous manner if you know what you're fighting against. For example, the Young Sasquatch in 6th has poor Regia and you can sneak in a second swing against it before turning around and running away without getting hit. This leads to a 2:1 trade of swings where just doing hit and run would trade 1:1. Likewise, you can trade with the Green Arachnoid in a 3:2 manner in the 4th circle test.
The Darshak Raider is also a 3:2, although it requires you to have 3 swings' worth of balance!

There are a few other things too, like for instance the Ice Greymyr's delay between Swing 1 and 2 is shorter than between 2 and 3. So if you partially brick on full balance, it makes sense to wait for its first two swings then go for a 2:1 exchange on it after that.