Vanilla Fighter Only Atkus Conservation Blade

Polls, discussion and commentary on suggested issues.

Moderators: Lorikeet, CL GMs

Jazz
Zouclougiest Alliance
Zouclougiest Alliance
Profession: Ranger
Race: Halfling
Player Status: Active
Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Vanilla Fighter Only Atkus Conservation Blade

Post by Jazz » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:35 pm

This has probably been talked about before to death, but I'm too lazy to search.

I've found that one of the only things that bothers me about sub-classing vs. playing core vanilla fighter has been the Atkus Problem™.

There have been lots of vanilla fighters that quit because Rangers with heaps less ranks surpass them in abilities so fast. Frustrating. I feel like, to a large degree, if you could just mitigate Atkus that could solve a huge part of the problem. If a vanilla fighter carries around a ton of Atkus they're doing themselves a disservice 99% of the time, but they pretty much have to because they can turn it on or off/boost it etc. like Fell/Tell/Goss etc.

A vanilla fighter *only* Atkus conservation blade is what I'm after. Couldn't possibly be hard to create nor, that I can think of, be unbalanced. Darkus is light enough on balance that it doesn't really matter, but Atkus is a real deterrent to playing, but is all but required to do anything with any group going to the mountains etc.

Just a thought. Hell... make it cost $100k for all I care. A goal. Thanks!
Bang a rang!

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Destroyer of Worlds
Race: Fen'neko

Re: Vanilla Fighter Only Atkus Conservation Blade

Post by Daimoth » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:22 pm

If tell blade was just released to champions, it'd take care of this. champions are vanilla fighters in every way that matters.
Extreme level disparity is community disparity.

Leinis
Exile

Post by Leinis » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:36 am

If you make something that is only for vanilla fighters, you've just made a 4th subclass. Making a new subclass isn't something that appeals to the GMs as it means more work that gets to be enjoyed by a diminishingly small portion of the population. And as Daimoth pointed out, without a Tell Blade, Champions suffer from the same problem.

It seems to me that the GMs have already answered the Atkus problem in three ways, the different subclasses, and you are asking them to answer it a fourth way because you don't like any of the existing three.
Crius yells, "We've got a situation here! There's a vampire cat!"

Jazz
Zouclougiest Alliance
Zouclougiest Alliance

Post by Jazz » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:03 am

Fair enough. SACWAG etc. You know plenty well though all the players that quit because their core ranks were "insufficient" to keep up with subclassing (re: Rangers). Yeah there is untraining (I know it well), but subclassing shouldn't be *forced* upon a player if they want to play with the very few groups that still hunt regularly. Sure... you can be a junk support fighter or whatever, but what fun is that. Without 750+ Atkus you're not contributing much to an eastern mountain hunt and that's a ridiculous amount of Atkus to carry around just to be part of group.

So yeah... bring back Tell Blade and let *any* fighter get the Atkus savings and that works too. I forgot about Tell Blade... can you blame me? ;-)
Bang a rang!

Sonny_Bill
Exile
Profession: Fighter
Race: Sylvan

Post by Sonny_Bill » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:15 am

Leinis wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:36 am
If you make something that is only for vanilla fighters, you've just made a 4th subclass.
IMO the rules of the game are pretty set in stone and don't need fiddling with. This allows players to plan their training.

As a BM, I realise my subclass is flawed. However, I can hit just about anything in the game, my swing recovery is getting good and I'm getting harder to kill. While frustrating at time, I think we just need to embrace our flaws.

Jazz
Zouclougiest Alliance
Zouclougiest Alliance

Post by Jazz » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:18 am

Jazz wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:03 am
So yeah... bring back Tell Blade and let *any* fighter get the Atkus savings and that works too. I forgot about Tell Blade... can you blame me? ;-)
I was thinking about it yesterday and, unless I'm mistaken, which I always am, the Tell Blade Atkus saving is only for Tell based ranks yes? What I'm talking about is a blade that only uses the required purely trained Atkus ranks.

But yeah... CL feels like it's on life support with the daily hunts getting smaller and smaller, STILL no word from Joe, quiet GMs etc. etc.

I hate to admit, but I've been trying to find a similar MMO for Mac for a few weeks now (no level cap, casual play, interesting storylines etc) and have found nothing so far.
Bang a rang!

Leinis
Exile

Post by Leinis » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:47 pm

Jazz wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:18 am
Jazz wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:03 am
I was thinking about it yesterday and, unless I'm mistaken, which I always am, the Tell Blade Atkus saving is only for Tell based ranks yes? What I'm talking about is a blade that only uses the required purely trained Atkus ranks.

But yeah... CL feels like it's on life support with the daily hunts getting smaller and smaller, STILL no word from Joe, quiet GMs etc. etc.
Yeah, you've got it completely wrong. The Tell Blade does not add any Atkus. Training ranks in it allows you to not use excess Atkus at a 1 to 1 ratio. For example say you have 750 Atkus and 250 Tell/Fell ranks, swinging at 3 different targets that take 600/500/400 Atkus to hit would make you use 600/500/500 Atkus respectively. This sounds almost exactly like what you're asking for, unless you want a Tell Blade that has no associated rank cost that's available for all fighters, or vanilla only (which would be a slap in the face to Champions).

The Tell Blade is really only good for high ranked fighters hunting in areas underneath their Atkus levels. As such it's not like it's going to save the game. I don't know about you, but I can't think of any fighters whose biggest concern with the game is that hunting areas beneath their level was too costly on their balance and thus they don't play any more.
Crius yells, "We've got a situation here! There's a vampire cat!"

Jazz
Zouclougiest Alliance
Zouclougiest Alliance

Post by Jazz » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:53 pm

Aha... cool... thanks for the Tell lesson Leinis! That all makes sense. :-)
Bang a rang!

Sala Dragon
Exile

Post by Sala Dragon » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:56 am

One easy way to save on excess Atkus when you are hunting under your level is to just untrain repeatedly, many times, until you are at the optimal level for the area you are hunting. Rinse and repeat and you can enjoy Clan Lord backwards, like Benjamin Button.

Although I think someone must have already given you this advice..

Jazz
Zouclougiest Alliance
Zouclougiest Alliance

Post by Jazz » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:23 am

Haha... I think Jazz has untrained 3 times now yeah. But since CL has no end game/winning strategy and is 50/50 going to be shut down anyways the best way to play is whatever is the most fun for you at this point! I happen to really enjoy burning through 1000s of ranks in different training schemes LOL.

Good to see your name Salad.
Bang a rang!