Spriggins

Polls, discussion and commentary on suggested issues.

Moderators: Lorikeet, CL GMs

Starsword
Exile
Profession: Ranger
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Active

Spriggins

Post by Starsword » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:22 am

Dear Clan Lord GM,

Are Spriggin thieves capped at five coins each?

Today, I was about to dive into the library when I overheard a conversation in town-square. Someone had wandered into the spirit wood with 15,000 in cash. You know the outcome. With brief internal deliberation, I headed to the spirit wood. There were about five to seven thieves present among 20-30 others psychotic munchkins. After taking up the task of clearing out said thieves to recover the coins for the healer, I find that each thief had no more than five coins in their pockets.

While I realize that there is a coin-sink mechanic in the game as the mechanism relates to spriggin-thieves, does this make for good game-play? I do not believe this is so.

Coin sinks are needed to prevent inflation, this I realize, but there are better ways. Rent on homes, while completely optional, is a good way. Homes are excellent coin sinks and gives the home-owner a return on their time invested. There is a return in the form of a sense of achievement and fond memories.

Being robbed without a reasonable chance to recover the coin is simply unsatisfying. While yes, being robbed by spriggins is part of the game's narrative, there was and should be a way to recover at least the bulk of those coins, especially if there is a large sum involved. This way a player can experience a close-shave, maybe lose a small percentage as a lesson, but there is no solidly logical reason to have the money simply evaporate into thin air.

A proposed alternative is to set up a gold-pot. While yes, the spriggins could still maintain their pocket money, a merry chase could ensue where the would-be victim has a chance to track down the spriggin's lair, with reasonable clues as to how to find their lost funds. If the player is low in time, their friends; or those who want to bother; could take on this quest and track down the gold. A shortcut would simply to have a magical pot of gold, deep within the greater tree-giant breeding grounds whose persistent value could increase in the case of a theft > 5 coins.

Pseudo Code/Some object code

Code: Select all

class sprigginThiefPot 
{

private:
	int potVal ;
	int potID;
	int[] potLoc;
	int imgID = 12345;

// constructor
	sprigginThiefPot
	{
		this.potVal = 0;
		this.potID = 0;
		this.potLoc = {0,0,0};
	}

public:

/////////////
	// code for collisions and sound effects go here
	///////////

///////////
	// other code for internal workings: optimization possible

int returnPotID()
	{
		return potID;
	}

void setPotID(int x)
	{
		this.potID = x;
	}

int returnPotVal()
	{
		return potVal;
	}

int[] returnPotLoc();
	{
		return potValLoc;
	}

// increase value
	void increasePot(int C)
	{
     		potVal += c;
	}

// cash in the pot
	int getPot()
	{
		int returnVal = this.returnPotVal();
		this.potVal = 0;
		return returnVal;
	}

}
//////////////////
// main program would create an instance for a pot, depending on location.

//////////////////////////////
// int the program, when a spriggin calls the steal method

sprigginThief.steal(getNearestPlayer.getPurseValue, getlocalPot)

//////////////////////////////
// possible sprigginThief code adjustment in spriggin's code
// optimization a good idea... but this is rough pseudo code.

void stealFromPlayer(int swipeFromHere, int PutGoldHere)
	{	
		int money = swipeFromHere.getBalance;
		swipeFromHere.setBalance = money*0.9;  // deduct form purse balance
		if(money*0.1 > 5)
			putGoldHere.increasePot(money*0.1-5);		// add diff to pot
			this.setMahMuneh(5);					// line pockets with the loot
		else
			this.setMahMuneh(money*0.1)
	}

In closure, I believe that improvement is possible, and that something similar along the line of theft-leads-to-mini-quest would benefit players old and new alike.

Thank you for reading,
Stars

Org du Lac
Exile

Re: Spriggins

Post by Org du Lac » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:33 pm

It sounds like you got there some minutes (or tens of minutes) after it happened. When pickpockets work an area and make off with a purse full of coins, they don't sit around there with the dude's wallet and wait for the town police to come along. They run off, dump the identifying purse and any personal effects, then put the coins somewhere else.

Also IIRC you can recover most of the coins if you kill the pickpocket at the moment, but it's been a while.

Mac
Exile
Profession: PWC Salandra
Race: Ghorak Zo

Post by Mac » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:51 pm

As Org said, there might be a time component to the money they steal (they're spending it or whatever), but the biggest thing I know is that if you leave the snell the spriggin instantly loses a huge % of the money it has. i.e. once you get pick pocketed, do not leave the snell until you find and kill it or you're going to get a fraction of the coins back.

Starsword
Exile
Profession: Ranger
Race: Fen'neko

Post by Starsword » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:05 pm

Thank you for the input and I agree that the current system mechanic may work well in some situations, but it can be improved upon.

noivad
Order of the White Elephant
Order of the White Elephant
Profession: Fighter
Race: Sylvan

Post by noivad » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:44 am

Our current player-based joke/story is that he quickly teleported away and partied it all away, but it’s be nicer to give players a “rescue your money” quest as a tradeoff for losing it in the first place.

The RP reason for spriggans making off with your money so fast is that, if they can teleport your money out of your pocket, they could easily teleport it anywhere within a snell or even beyond. We never see spriggans when we aren’t around—so we do not know their maximum coin teleport range, and basing it on their personal teleport doesn’t take into account the size differential. (Hell they could by syphoning a single coin at a time, just very fast. Assuming it works like the physical spectrum does: things with less/no mass (even momentarily) could be transported further because they can travel faster—it’s not like there’s the same laws of physics in subplanes or hyperplanes they teleport through. So, teleporting stolen loot to one of several randomly placed stashes and using loovma as 1 rank = +1% up to 75%–90%* recoverable mod would also make sense within the RP storyline. *The base would be ~25%: so 50 loovma (around the point chains break less) would be a 75% coin recovery if robbed. Hell, being able to recovery a piece of a Spriggan (or their “dimension door” key) could allow one to open a portal to their stash dimension even. In that case, the pot could grow and the item drop could be random but a fairly high chance as more coins are added to the pot.

Side note: Also, the bank percentages aren’t incredibly bad. I can make what they charge to deposit 1K in a few minutes, if not less.
http://www.clanlord.net/
Org Du Lac's bestiary: http://bestiary.clanlord.net/index.html
Gil Galad’s Pirates http://pirates.clanlord.net/ & Ranger Studies: http://studies.clanlord.net/
?security warning:View cert•CL players assess valid by refs