Make money working for the bestiary!

A place to discuss CL related projects.

Moderators: Sheriff, The Deputies

Org du Lac
Exile

Make money working for the bestiary!

Post by Org du Lac » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:15 am

So, you're broke and want to earn coins?

Or you want to be immortalized in Puddleby's most popular bestiary, with a viewership of over 20 people!?

http://bestiary.puddleby.net/beast/NoLivesketches.php is a list of the creatures in my bestiary that I do not live sketch of -- which is nearly 70% of the creatures found in Lok'Groton.

I'll pay 50c per live sketch you send in of a creature on this list (sending in two pictures of a Brown Feral is still only 50c ;)).

I have one stipulation for the picture:
1. It must overwhelmingly, or solely, contain the creature in question, e.g. http://bestiary.puddleby.net/images/cre ... lSlugs.gif is fine even though it has rats in it. Something like http://www.thoomcare.com/archives/image ... yr.499.gif would not be a good example of a twilight wendecka.

Gif format is preferred, but PNG is fine (jpg is lossy, and gif is the smallest compression at 100% quality -- about half the size of a PNG or full-quality jpg).

If the creature has an ability, if that ability is shown in the picture, that is preferable. (see: http://bestiary.puddleby.net/images/cre ... Zealot.jpg

Pictures can be e-mailed to orgdu_delete_this_lac at puddleby(_dot_)net, or you can put them up on your own webspace and PM me the link.

Thoom!

(PS: DragonHawk, I owe you probably around 700c.)

Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone
Profession: Healer
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Active

Post by Lorikeet » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:23 am

Neat idea Org. There are lots that could be done by lower level exiles too.

DragonHawk
Exile
Profession: Designated Faller
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Inactive

Re: Make money working for the bestiary!

Post by DragonHawk » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:43 am

Org du Lac wrote: (PS: DragonHawk, I owe you probably around 700c.)
SWEET
Largo wrote: "If you say one more bad thing about my festive shirt, I'm going to tear out your damn eyes."
Foxx wrote: "Every word you speak sends children running for their lives, screaming in fear."
...CHICKEN GLORY!

Org du Lac
Exile

Post by Org du Lac » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:03 am

Lorikeet wrote:Neat idea Org. There are lots that could be done by lower level exiles too.
Thanks--I've been trying to fill the harder / more obscure creatures first, to allow younger exiles a chance to get the stuff that's around town.

(Well, and that I don't think most older exiles are going to spend the time cropping pictures, especially since I hunt with them and sketches I take will include them anyway. You're probably in twenty of the sketches, Lori. ;))

Also, thanks DragonHawk and Creed!

Skirwan
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Profession: Bloodmage
Race: Ghorak Zo

Post by Skirwan » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:25 am

Not to go ruining the fun, but I can get you sprite images for anything if you want.
“However,” said Dumbledore, speaking very slowly and clearly so that none of them could miss a word, “you will find that I will only truly have left this school when none here are loyal to me.”

Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone

Post by Lorikeet » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:36 am

I think he already has images for everything. It's action shots he's looking for. (That time when you were surrounded by 20 orga, or that crazy spawn of 50 bloodhawks--oh, that was yesterday. Forgot to take a picture. Oh well. ;) )

Org du Lac
Exile

Post by Org du Lac » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:23 am

Sprite images aren't a problem, thanks though. I just like getting the sketches of the creatures in-action, since I think it makes the bestiary more interesting (and authentic). About 40% of the creatures shown in the bestiary now have live sketches (the "295 missing of 451 total" is slightly off, since it includes a few 'fake' creatures that don't show up in the bestiary normally, e.g. venomous leech).

The crazier the image, the better. Like this one from Creed: http://bestiary.puddleby.net/images/cre ... n_Orga.gif

Skirwan
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Profession: Bloodmage
Race: Ghorak Zo

Post by Skirwan » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:10 am

Ah, gotcha. In that case I'll just start taking pictures of my ongoing mission to fall to everything in the game.
“However,” said Dumbledore, speaking very slowly and clearly so that none of them could miss a word, “you will find that I will only truly have left this school when none here are loyal to me.”

Org du Lac
Exile

Post by Org du Lac » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:00 pm

There's only one minor problem:
Sometimes, the first time you click on the image, it will load twice. I haven't figured that out yet either. Clicking away and re-loading it will work fine. This problem seems to only occur for people using the Safari 3 public beta. Since other browsers don't suffer this problem, I'll look into fixing it if it persists when Safari 3 is officially released.

More updates on this vein to come. I'll probably allow you to scroll through all the live sketches on a certain page, so you don't have to randomly click ("which creatures on this page have them?") to figure it out.

[Edit: IE 6+, FireFox 2+, Safari 2+ required. Sorry, OS 9ers. Upgrade your computers already.]

Thanks much to Skirwan for helping me fix a problem on the search page, and to Raul for a couple dozen more live sketches.

Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone

Post by Lorikeet » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:48 am

I seem to remember your saying that we would be unable to see the pictures if we used Safari. Is that correct? I can see the ones you posted, but if I go to the website, I don't know where to look.

Org du Lac
Exile

Post by Org du Lac » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:20 am

Lorikeet wrote:I seem to remember your saying that we would be unable to see the pictures if we used Safari. Is that correct? I can see the ones you posted, but if I go to the website, I don't know where to look.
Yes, this is [edit: was] still a problem. My intended solution to this was "well, just make 100% of them have live sketches so there's no ambiguity," but it looks like that will take about a year for me to do.

I added a border to all creatures with live sketches, so looking at the bestiary with Safari and FF looks the same now (Firefox did that by default, but Safari did not force the border). It should be pretty clear when you're scrolling through now.

Aesthetically, I'm not a huge fan of this, and I'm welcome to suggestions. Actually, I'm open to stylistic suggestions for any part of the bestiary, although for the most part I'm content with how it looks.

Raul
Noble

Post by Raul » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:50 am

I am having some trouble viewing the bestiary live sketches now (it wasn't like this a bit ago) on firefox 2.0.0.6
when i veiw the images the loading bar just stays there and doesnt go away

Org du Lac
Exile

Post by Org du Lac » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:41 am

Raul wrote:I am having some trouble viewing the bestiary live sketches now (it wasn't like this a bit ago) on firefox 2.0.0.6
when i veiw the images the loading bar just stays there and doesnt go away
The weird thing is, that doesn't happen for the live sketches that are found via the search page on FireFox. *Boggles.*

I like the loading animation and don't want to get rid of it, but I guess if I can't figure anything else out...

Org du Lac
Exile

Post by Org du Lac » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:29 am

Raul wrote:I am having some trouble viewing the bestiary live sketches now...
I couldn't figure this out, so I just removed the loading animation. It should look fine in FireFox now.

I do like the loading animation, so I'll probably try adding it again at some point when FireFox is updated.

Org du Lac
Exile

Re: Make money working for the bestiary!

Post by Org du Lac » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:22 am

I no longer have enough money to support my library fees, so this 'contest' is over now.

Thanks to those of you who helped out! I think I received about 80 live sketches. Something like 60% of the creatures shown in the bestiary have live sketches now (there are quite a few 'fake' creatures not shown that are listed in the 'creatures without live sketches' list).