A place to discuss CL related projects.

Moderators: Sheriff, The Deputies

Org du Lac
Exile
Profession: Muffin
Race: Concealed
Player Status: Inactive

Post by Org du Lac » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:45 pm

You can now search by rarity and sort the results to your choosing. If someone (Noivad?) sends me the code to export the search to CSV (or whatever format), I'll include it, but I have no plans to work on it at the moment.

I will add a help page shortly, but I consider the search page 'done' now. If there is anything else you want done, please let me know.

I have concerns that the search page may be much more of a spoiler than before. It is now very easy to find all the abilities performed by creatures, as well as all the rare and exotic monsters.

Although it was possible to do this before, someone would have to go through all 24 pages of the main bestiary to do so. If they did that and felt disappointed afterwards because the bestiary spoiled secrets for them, then. Well...

I'm planning to add some sort of cookie-stored preferences for the bestiary to address this concern of mine, unless someone has a better idea. My other plan is to make the bestiary more aesthetically pleasing.

http://bestiary.puddleby.net
http://bestiary.puddleby.net/search.php

xepel
Trainer
Profession: Bard
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Active

Post by xepel » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:38 pm

First of all: Thanks Org! The Bestiary is pretty much just plain awesome.

Secondly: A bestiary is a catalog of creatures. Of *course* it is going to contain spoilers. If you're a newbie, most of it will be "spoiler." If you're an oldbie, much much less will be. I'd rather have a complete bestiary instead of one blocked by censorship due to "spoilers." (Though yes, an option for "omit super-rare critters" might placate some people - but has anyone complained yet?)

Org du Lac
Exile

Post by Org du Lac » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:36 am

xepel wrote:First of all: Thanks Org! The Bestiary is pretty much just plain awesome.

Secondly: A bestiary is a catalog of creatures. Of *course* it is going to contain spoilers. If you're a newbie, most of it will be "spoiler." If you're an oldbie, much much less will be. I'd rather have a complete bestiary instead of one blocked by censorship due to "spoilers." (Though yes, an option for "omit super-rare critters" might placate some people - but has anyone complained yet?)
Firstly: Thanks!

Second of all: No, no one has ever said the bestiary has spoiled anything for them, but a few have voiced concern about it potentially being a spoiler for others. Since I've never heard anyone say the bestiary spoiled something for them, I haven't made it much of a priority to restrict searches / turn off 'secret' monsters by default. I guess I should set up a poll for that, since it's kind of awkward to say "hey I love your bestiary but it ruined the thrill of discovery for me :/"

InuTeisei
Exile
Profession: Healer
Location: Sneaking up on you... shopping somewhere in puddleby

Post by InuTeisei » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:43 am

Org du Lac wrote:but a few have voiced concern about it potentially being a spoiler for others.
I wonder about those who say it might be a spoiler. I for one like spoilers! But then again I am one of those who thinks information should be set free. That and I simply don't have the time to spend discovering all this stuff.
.:: Smoochy Boochies :: Inu Teisei :D :: Laughing Academy® .. We fall so you don't have to! .. Falling at a snell near you .. Charge! er no Run! Run! :: This sig has been donated to CHICKEN GLORY!! :: When I hear Eldon, I think of office supplies ::.

noivad
Order of the White Elephant
Order of the White Elephant
Profession: Fighter

Post by noivad » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:29 am

It should be assumed that a site with creatures on it has spoilers as far as what exists in game. Maybe a disclaimer on the front page if there isn't one will take care of that. "Warming: this site may contain information that could be considered a spoiler for some people. Browse at your own risk!"

Anyway here's the export code:

SELECT * FROM tablename ORDER BY field INTO OUTFILE 'filename.csv' FIELDS TERMINATED BY ',' OPTIONALLY ENCLOSED BY '"' LINES TERMINATED BY '\n';
http://www.clanlord.net/
Org Du Lac's bestiary: http://bestiary.clanlord.net/index.html
Gil Galad’s Pirates http://pirates.clanlord.net/ & Ranger Studies: http://studies.clanlord.net/
?security warning:View cert•CL players assess valid by refs

xepel
Trainer
Profession: Bard

Post by xepel » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:36 am

Could there be an easy to use form to submit possible corrections to you, or should we just e-mail you?

Thoughts include that Haremau need more than 1300 defense to brick, and Recluse Arachne have more than 350 darkus... oh, and the Haremau Kitten should definitely be under "quick regeneration"...

(Of course, I know that this is supposed to be a general guide, but having as-accurate-as-possible-anyway numbers is always good...)
Helpful GM exclaims, "Mystics can fly and walk through walls. They don't need boats on the water, and they can teleport at will!"

Org du Lac
Exile

Post by Org du Lac » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:49 am

xepel wrote:Could there be an easy to use form to submit possible corrections to you, or should we just e-mail you?

Thoughts include that Haremau need more than 1300 defense to brick, and Recluse Arachne have more than 350 darkus... oh, and the Haremau Kitten should definitely be under "quick regeneration"...

(Of course, I know that this is supposed to be a general guide, but having as-accurate-as-possible-anyway numbers is always good...)
I've never been a big fan of those forms that are filled out and sent straight to the admin, so I'm unlikely to add one. I check the email listed on the site (orgdulac ::: puddleby:net) fairly regularly though, so if you send me an email there, I'll make the correction within a couple days.

My numbers on the very high (1200+ defense, 600+ atkus) and very low (< 200 defense, < 100 atkus) are more likely to be inaccurate, as I either don't have a fighter that strong, or haven't had a fighter that weak in years. Additionally, I'm a terrible judge of monster Darkus and Histia, so those numbers might be ±20%. However, since most creatures seem to vary by about ±10%, I'm not tremendously concerned about it unless there's a glaring error.

(E.g. I initially had the Tok'han Shaman listed with 500 health, which is the same as the Sturdy Oak Giant, which was a large mistake.) All numbers listed should be (rough) means, including the coin yield.

That said, if I have the mean damage listed as 350 for a creature, and you think it's more like 400, I'll fix it. (Also, Haremau kitten regeneration fixed -- thanks!)

[Edit: Email address changed to de-spam. ::: is @. : is dot.]
Last edited by Org du Lac on Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kerrah
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Champion
Race: Fen'neko

Post by Kerrah » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:46 am

Org du Lac wrote: My numbers on the very high (1200+ defense, 600+ atkus) and very low (< 200 defense, < 100 atkus) are more likely to be inaccurate, as I either don't have a fighter that strong, or haven't had a fighter that weak in years. Additionally, I'm a terrible judge of monster Darkus and Histia, so those numbers might be ±20%. However, since most creatures seem to vary by about ±10%, I'm not tremendously concerned about it unless there's a glaring error.
Team up with Gorvin; he seems to have crazy ways of figuring out crap like this.

Org du Lac
Exile

Post by Org du Lac » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:15 am

noivad wrote:It should be assumed that a site with creatures on it has spoilers as far as what exists in game. Maybe a disclaimer on the front page if there isn't one will take care of that. "Warming: this site may contain information that could be considered a spoiler for some people. Browse at your own risk!"

Anyway here's the export code:

SELECT * FROM tablename ORDER BY field INTO OUTFILE 'filename.csv' FIELDS TERMINATED BY ',' OPTIONALLY ENCLOSED BY '"' LINES TERMINATED BY '\n';
The code for exporting data is now in place, and it is without a search limit, so you can easily export the entire bestiary.

... unfortunately, I don't have root access on the mysql server, so I can't grant myself permissions to run either SELECT ... INTO OUTFILE or mysqldump, nor do I have an administrative account on the web server, so I can't install any other plugins that would do the same thing. So, this is unlikely to be implemented for another month when I can ask my host to grant me the permissions.

(There must be some way around this, because I can export the data with phpMyAdmin, but I'm too lazy to figure out why it can export the data and I can't, and how I can piggyback onto that. Unless Skirwan or someone wants to save the day again ;) but I'm content to just wait the month, and probably forget about it.)

If anyone really wants the exported data, it's only like 40 Kb of text, and like 5 Mb including all regular images, and like 10 Mb including all live sketches and backgrounds etc, so you can just ask me and I'll send you whatever.