Talas
Exile
Profession: Fighter
Race: Concealed
Player Status: Active

Circle tests - Day and Night and more

Post by Talas » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:11 am

Hi there,

i had a chat with one of my friends from Arindal last night and today (while I was working on something I'll present here, soon) it came in my mind again...

He told me that he nearly passed the (i think it was the 3rd) test and then - another time he was far away from passing...
The same happened to me on my first try of the fifth circle test...
Well... I know that some monsters are stronger during night... But does that also apply to the monsters in the circle tests?

additional question:
I also know that the movements bonus of the Rangers do not work in the test (unfair!!), but I can use my heartwood charm to be faster than the monster and maybe avoid getting hit when I am on red and want to troil' a little bit (senseless for me, but maybe not for others). What about the other subclassed items/abilities? Are those also totally blocked or will those still work?

Thanks

Gremlins
Fenix Fire
Fenix Fire
Profession: Fallen
Race: Ghorak Zo

Re: Circle tests - Day and Night and more

Post by Gremlins » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:41 am

Talas wrote: additional question:
I also know that the movements bonus of the Rangers do not work in the test (unfair!!), but I can use my heartwood charm to be faster than the monster and maybe avoid getting hit when I am on red and want to troil' a little bit (senseless for me, but maybe not for others). What about the other subclassed items/abilities? Are those also totally blocked or will those still work?
Thanks
You still get family bonus. If you have several wendies, you will get the corresponding family bonus on the "captured" ones in tests (ie, if you have 5 orga studied, you will get the maximum family bonus on any orga in the tests, 1 atkus and 1 darkus per goss ranks). I don't know if anyone tried to study the captured version of any monster in the test to see if then you may get the full movement bonus (but what would be the point ?). Considering that besides a few critters, monsters in the tests are members of fairly large families that most rangers would get at least 5 of them (orga, wendies, noids, arachne, darshacks), I think it is still quite fair to have that limitation.

I actually never thought of using the charm in test, the room is small enough that the interest, imho, is fairly limited. What would be much more useful and quite overpowered would be the ability to use morphs in test…

As far as I know both the fell and bb users keep their bonus in test, though they are obviously more difficult to use (at least the fell).
Chum wrote:Do not attempt to apply logic to matters regarding Clan Lord; it'll just drive you nuts... ;)

Talas
Exile
Profession: Fighter

Post by Talas » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:36 am

yes, I know about that working family bonus... But it only works if the camtured version still has the same family like the "free" version... we can only check that by watching if our balance moves when hitting the creep...

I'm not 100% sure if it shouldn't be allowed to use morphs and/or direct studies in the tests.
As for me the circle tests should indicate how strong someone is - in combination of clicking skills, ranks and tactics and not limit both tactics and ranks by pulling away all those ranks invested in goss, spirit and Duvin. There's (nearly) no benefit in passing the circle tests (at least that I don't know of any) beyond passing the third/fourth circle test (I know of Rodnus but for the most "new" 3rd circle exiles it is pretty pointless as there are so many healers who can just burst you from fallen to full health...
But okay, if the other subclasses are happy about limiting the Rangers in the tests - no problem for me ;)

Borzon
Arilon Legacy
Arilon Legacy
Profession: Bloodmage
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Inactive

Post by Borzon » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:01 am

Talas wrote: .....(I know of Rodnus but for the most "new" 3rd circle exiles it is pretty pointless as there are so many healers who can just burst you from fallen to full health...
Noone can burst a fallen 3rd to full health. Rodnus also gives you more burst.

Gremlins
Fenix Fire
Fenix Fire
Profession: Fallen
Race: Ghorak Zo

Post by Gremlins » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:24 am

Talas wrote: I'm not 100% sure if it shouldn't be allowed to use morphs and/or direct studies in the tests.
If either or both were allowed, I can tell you that many rangers would already be 8th circle :)
These limitations are an attempt at balancing the tests (and I'm not even sure that it is successful). What was suggested in the past instead was to design circle tests for subclasses where abilities would be allowed.
Chum wrote:Do not attempt to apply logic to matters regarding Clan Lord; it'll just drive you nuts... ;)

Chopper
Arilon Legacy
Arilon Legacy
Profession: -

Post by Chopper » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:45 am

Gremlins wrote: As far as I know both the fell and bb users keep their bonus in test, though they are obviously more difficult to use (at least the fell).
Yes, of course, trying a test on red is obviously easier then trying to hit something in the back
Largo wrote:i quit clan lord and now i clock 7-9 hours a day minmaxing romantic relationships

Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone
Profession: Healer
Race: Fen'neko

Post by Lorikeet » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:03 am

Borzon wrote:
Talas wrote: .....(I know of Rodnus but for the most "new" 3rd circle exiles it is pretty pointless as there are so many healers who can just burst you from fallen to full health...

Whoa, Borzon is right. Bursting a fallen 3rd up to red is possible; to full is not. I can burst mystics and nubs up to full health, before they start studying health. Rodnus adds about 11 histia to my burst, and speeds up healing regardless. It's a good idea.

Chopper
Arilon Legacy
Arilon Legacy

Post by Chopper » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:50 am

Lorikeet wrote:
Borzon wrote:

Whoa, Borzon is right. Bursting a fallen 3rd up to red is possible; to full is not. I can burst mystics and nubs up to full health, before they start studying health. Rodnus adds about 11 histia to my burst, and speeds up healing regardless. It's a good idea.
You got me to green I thought
Largo wrote:i quit clan lord and now i clock 7-9 hours a day minmaxing romantic relationships

Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone

Post by Lorikeet » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:23 pm

Chopper wrote:
You have 70 Histia? :p

Maeght
Trainer
Profession: Ranger
Race: Halfling

Post by Maeght » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:33 am

Lorikeet wrote:
Borzon wrote:

If I was just barely fallen at 3rd circle, you might just have made it. I had a little over 50 Histia and a little bit of Spirtus back then.

Chopper
Arilon Legacy
Arilon Legacy

Post by Chopper » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:40 am

Lorikeet wrote:
Chopper wrote:
No, 80

Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone

Post by Lorikeet » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:22 am

Chopper wrote:
Lorikeet wrote:
Chopper wrote:
No, 80
Hah that explains it.

Taryn
Exile

Post by Taryn » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:04 am

Talas wrote:I know that some monsters are stronger during night... But does that also apply to the monsters in the circle tests?
Yes.

Taryn.

Alces
Order of the White Elephant
Order of the White Elephant
Profession: *.Stereotype
Race: Human

Post by Alces » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:35 am

Taryn wrote:
Talas wrote:I know that some monsters are stronger during night... But does that also apply to the monsters in the circle tests?
Yes.

Taryn.
Over 10 years of playing and I never put this together... Image

What has two thumbs and will avoid the Fighter Hall like the plague after the sun goes down? This guy.
Characters on PSA Rank Tracker:
Alces (DPS) - Athran (Brick) - Angadol (Rod) - Abner (Horus) - Ajah (Repairs)
Math, imploring the GMs, wrote:Take bold measures, gentlemen. Save the game.

Gloria
Noble
Profession: Spiritual Advisor
Race: Halfling

Post by Gloria » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:29 pm

Wow I never thought of that either. Thanks for mentioning it!
Aye'cha wrote:I'm not pulling a Gloria here