Questions RE: Bloodblade Mechanics (Old vs New)

Moderators: Kani, CL GMs

Raul
Noble

Re: Questions RE: Bloodblade Mechanics (Old vs New)

Post by Raul » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:29 pm

I'm not sure what it is, an experienced bloodmage might have an idea though

Alces
Order of the White Elephant
Profession: *.Stereotype
Race: Human
Player Status: Inactive

Post by Alces » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:35 pm

Alces wrote:New BB's: When you lack the spirit to receive your full bonus, do you receive a message similar to the one that Ranger's receive when they lack the balance to take full advantage of their Goss bonus?
I'm also wondering if this applies to not having enough balance to get the full bonus - is there a message?

Also, I'd really like to get a good idea of what supplimental balance/spirit ranks are needed to use a new BB effectively.
e.g., Most mid-to-heavy (250+) Goss rangers can get away with 10-20 Splash & 20-50 Respin...is the BB similar in it's spirit consumption, or does it require more/less?
(The build I'm considering would have 500-1000 BB, so I'm hoping that 100 or less Splash/Respin would be adequate...)

Lastly (just thought of this), is the BB bonus given to Rangers that are morphed, or is the damage output limited by the morph's damage cap?
Last edited by Alces on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Characters on PSA Rank Tracker:
Alces (DPS) - Athran (Brick) - Angadol (Rod) - Abner (Horus) - Ajah (Repairs)
Math, imploring the GMs, wrote:Take bold measures, gentlemen. Save the game.

Seld'kar
Noble
Profession: Ranger
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Seld'kar » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:16 am

You'll find morphing and BBing simultaniously to be rather taxing on spirit.
I think having an opinion makes you an asshole.

Alces

Post by Alces » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:06 pm

I had the opportunity to click a Bloodmage the other day, which was extremely fun. :D
(Albeit very difficult to understand at first, and completely reliant on macros)

Questions:
  • Is /use /control* a function that is available only to Bloodmages?
  • If not, is it available on both New and Old BBs?
*(Rather than toss out a spoiler, I'll let a Bloodmage choose whether or not to reveal what /use /control actually does.)

Ebony
Exile
Profession: Bloodmage

Post by Ebony » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:43 pm

Control mode is only available to Bloodmages and hence only available with new bloodblades as mages can't use old ones.

To clarify some other incorrect assumptions you may have. If you don't have enough balance to swing, you can't swing at all, you don't get a swing with reduced bonus. As a result, even a small amount of balance poison can render you unable to swing the blade if you train the bloodblade heavily without training balthus in some form.

Also, the new bloodblade draws spirit only to provide extra damage, if you are at zero spirit, you still swing the blade with the full accuracy bonus, it will just do damage based only on your natural darkus. This spirit drain doesn't appear to be "conserved", it will still draw the full amount even when swinging at a rat.

Alces

Post by Alces » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:59 pm

Ebony wrote:If you don't have enough balance to swing, you can't swing at all, you don't get a swing with reduced bonus. As a result, even a small amount of balance poison can render you unable to swing the blade if you train the bloodblade heavily without training balthus in some form.
Wait, but...Gorvin said:
Gorvin wrote:
Alces wrote:Then I'll just park it on Swengus in preparation for the day when the old BBs are done away with.
Why would the new BB make you want to train more Swengus? The blade's Regia was nerfed, but as far as I know, the Balthus bonus was untouched, so as to prevent players who already had a ton of BB ranks from suddenly becoming unable to swing. If anything, the new BB would make you want to train more Regia, not Swengus, but even then the new BB still gives a somewhat fair amount of Regia (your swings will be slow, but not unbearably so given how much damage it hits for).
And later:
Gorvin wrote:What I meant was that if you find that X Swengus is adequate for the old BB, it's going to be fine for the new BB as well, so there's no reason to have your character sit on Swengus while waiting for the old BB to be replaced. I haven't heard of anyone becoming unable to swing with the BB, but I also haven't heard of a BB user who had untrained all of the Balthus they had acquired up to 3rd circle either (did Nesse..?). It's *possible* you'd still need some Swengus, but it wouldn't be a lot.

Gorvin
Noble
Profession: Champion
Race: Dwarf
Player Status: Active

Post by Gorvin » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:25 pm

I don't think there's any contradiction there. You don't need much Balthus training to be able to swing the BB, because it comes with a Balthus bonus of its own. However, if you're aiming to have just the bare minimum amount of Balthus to be able to swing the BB, even a tiny bit of balance poison will prevent you from being able to swing. It is something to consider, but if you're going to be training 700+ BB ranks, you'll need a lot of Balthus ranks to stop low-red health swings from using the majority of your balance bar, so there will always be the danger of balance poison screwing you over even if you do decide to train more Balthus than you "need".

Ebony
Exile
Profession: Bloodmage

Post by Ebony » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:26 pm

The two statements are not in conflict, please reread them. I never said how much (if any) balthus had to be trained to swing the blade, it would be pretty small, though I do think it is greater than zero, but if you can get Gorvin to give you a hard number I'd trust him of course.

But alcohol and herpatids and things that reduce your maximum balance can take you below what you need to swing the blade. Since your build has no natural balance and relies entirely on the bloodblade to provide it, anything that takes some of it away is going to render you unable to swing. You don't just swing with less accuracy. That was the point I was trying to make.