Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone
Profession: Healer
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Active

Newbie Questions and Answers

Post by Lorikeet » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:25 pm

My effort at a forum for Newbie Questions and Answers--(Leave the sarcastic comments at the door or in FWITB, please.)

Dyaus
Exile
Profession: Ranger
Race: Ghorak Zo
Player Status: Inactive

Re: Newbie Questions and Answers

Post by Dyaus » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:42 pm

Is there a good reference for hunting locations and their respective difficulties?

The Hunting forum is generally full of acronyms I don't understand, and even though I'm still too weak to participate in any organized hunt, it would be nice to get a feel for how strong I'll need to be before I can start tagging along.

Get it? Tagging? ... :oops:

Kani
Red Quill
Red Quill
Race: Sylvan

Post by Kani » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:56 pm

Check out http://www.puddleopedia.org/Acronyms for a list of Acronyms commonly used. Well, most of them are or were commonly used. Some of the newer acronyms may not be up there yet.

As for a reference guide to their difficulty: I don't think there's a scroll where you can read about relative difficulty of areas, although Org du Lac's Bestiary (http://bestiary.puddleby.net/beast.php) gives a guide for how strong individual creatures are.
The obstacle is the path.

Kalypso
Rising Claw
Rising Claw
Profession: Healer

Post by Kalypso » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:06 pm

Dyaus wrote:Is there a good reference for hunting locations and their respective difficulties?
If I'm thinking of tagging along somewhere with oldbies I'll usually ask people in the group outright, "Will I even be able to hit anything there?" or "Will I be able to stay upright there?" They might ask how many ranks I have in atkus or higgrus, and then they'll let me know if they think I'll be able to tag/heal there effectively.
"Love" is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.--Robert A. Heinlein

Iriel_Red
TRAP
TRAP
Profession: Fighter
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Iriel_Red » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:15 pm

Dyaus wrote:Is there a good reference for hunting locations and their respective difficulties?

The Hunting forum is generally full of acronyms I don't understand, and even though I'm still too weak to participate in any organized hunt, it would be nice to get a feel for how strong I'll need to be before I can start tagging along.

Get it? Tagging? ... :oops:
In case you haven't heard, I believe there's an entire clan dedicated to the art of puns, you should check them out :D

On topic; I'd love a list like that myself, but I'm pretty sure the (/some) seasoned players will reply that part of the CL experience is finding out these things for yourself..

By the way, I *really* doubt you're too weak to join hunts. Unless you mean those Circle specific ones. Tried Undine Hut or Kitty Beach - I think that count as hunts? I was barely done with the Rat Towers when I started hitting stuff at those places. Another thing you ought to catch is the Sunday Open Hunt. For me it's the only way I can see other places than pretty close to Downtown - and Open really means Open.
And as soon as you have the hit'n dodge down, you're pretty much good to go lots of places, as long as there's a good healer around.

Edit: Just in case it isn't abundantly clear, I'm a total newbie myself, so take anything I say with that consideration :P
Last edited by Iriel_Red on Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Code: Select all

if( FLAMING_ON_THE_INTERNET == true)
{
ePeen++;
}
else if( NO_ONE_REACTS == true)
{
fail++;
}

Kani
Red Quill
Red Quill

Post by Kani » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:26 pm

Followup:
Just flipped through the Hunting Hall forum a bit, so I'll give a basic rundown of the areas I saw mentioned. Feel free to add/ask questions about any I missed. I'll list them more or less in order of difficulty, starting with the easy ones. Note: When I make circle recommendations, these will vary based on your training. I'm generally making my recommendations for fighters. Healers of any level are welcome for many hunts, regardless of the difficulty.

Edit:
Adding links to the Puddleopedia for more info. Some articles may need to be filled in. Feel free to add more information, screenshots, etc.

Under Undine Hut
This name's fairly self-explanatory. You could have fun here even as a newbie, it's rather low level. Beyond the dark cavern in the undine hut, to the east, there's another area with more undine and someone who sells dark grey pants.

KB (Kitty Beach)
A popular hunting spot for newbies, it may still offer entertainment up through upper second circle. A wide variety of cats spawn here, of the varieties found in South Forest. Mahas (strong) are rare, and island panthers, artak cougars are common. Just like South Forest, but smaller and more manageable!

SF (South Forest)
It gets more dangerous as you get deeper in. Near the mirror, there are more boloks and mahas and higher quantity of everything. Near the sylvan scout, it's good hunting for 1st and 2nd circle groups. Many oldbie fighters and healers were weaned on this forest.

OBC (Old Bear Caves)
You can begin hunting here in the 2nd circle range. The main monsters are grizzly bears (stronger) and brown bears (a bit weaker). They hit fairly hard, but aren't terribly hard to hit. NBC (New Bear Caves) is substantially harder, and offers a bigger mix of bears.

LP (Lily Pond)
You can begin to join these hunts when you're in 2nd circle, and they may be worthwhile up through 4th or 5th circle. The main monsters: Swamp Ferals, Cave Maha Ruknee, and Large Sand Wurms. They mostly hit hard, but at the most you'll need 150 Atkus to hit.

TGBG (Tree Giant Breeding Grounds)
About the same level as the Lily Pond. The main concerns here are spriggins (they'll zap your balance and make you easy to hit), vixens (they swing really fast and can kill you if you stand still for long), and tree giants themselves. The tree giants are hard to hit (may require 200 or so Atkus) but fairly easy to dodge.

RC (Rocky Cavern)
2nd-3rd circle for this one to start. There are three kinds of wyrms found here: Grey Wyrms, Blood Wyrms, and Sun Wyrms. The first of these are fairly easy to hit. Blood Wyrms require 200-250 Atkus to hit. Sun Wyrms are extremely hard to hit. Fortunately, grey wyrms are the most common.

Noth (Dal'Noth Island)
Just about anyone can have fun here. The monsters are too strong for a fresh off the boat newbie, but a second circle fighter should be able to hit some of the lower-level 'Noths. This is really good hunting for third circle fighters, and even into low-mid fourth circle. The main difficulty: You need a full mystic to "open" the island to let in hunting parties.

GI (Gungla Island)
A mixed-difficulty island. Not a lot here for you if you aren't third circle or so. Even the easier bits are occasionally quite hard, due to random occurrence of cave cobras. Has a few hunting points of interest, including "The Pit" (where you can find cave mahas, cave cobras, and swamp ferals), deep forest where pumas are found, Colmert's Keep, Earth Wyrms, and the Sul'ran Temple. The hardest parts, including the Sul'ran Temple are rather hard indeed. The deeper parts require a password (or pass-item) to access.

MI (Melabrion's Island)
The northwest tip of Gungla Island, also known as MI. Fourth-sixth circle level monsters are found here, most commonly Young Sasquatch, Valley Cougars, Stinging Beetles, and Valley Panthers. Requirements: 250 or so Atkus, except for the stinging beetles which are extremely easy to hit. Occasionally Angry Mother Sasquatch, which are much harder.

Valley
The same monsters as MI (see above), but add cave cobras into the mix. The difference is that the Valley is a somewhat longer hunt, and has a one-way entrance so you can't escape if you mess up. Less of a casual hunt, more of a boring rankwhorey hunt.

Day KI (Kizmia's Island)
Kizmia's Island radically changes in difficulty from day to night. During the day, if you're at least third circle you could probably have fun here. Virtually no Atkus is required to hit most of the monsters, though the cats from MI and the Valley are mixed in and require some to hit. The monsters hit hard though, and there's a chance of getting a disease if they kill you. The disease is curable though, so it's not the end of the world. Main consideration for hunting here: Enough Histia/Higgrus to stay standing, whether you have enough time. The entrance to the main island isn't two-way, and the exit is clear on the other side.

A note about KI: "KI Cove" (a western cove on the island) is a more casual hunt for people who would find the interior too hard or too time-intensive. The cove on the west side of the island, including Fat Alice's Hut and its basement, is also good casual hunting.

OOB (Orga Outback)
Again, you'll probably want to be at least third circle. OOB is less hard than the areas it's bracketed by (Foothills and Hatreds' Hollow), so if you had fun in those areas you can probably have fun here. The Outback is a big tangled stretch of woods beyond Wisher's Gate, between the Orga Village and the Foothills. Toughest monsters here are Orga Hemlocks (chain lightning) and Orga Hatreds (they hit really hard and require extreme Atkus to hit).

Foothills
The main danger here is the pebbles which can make you become extremely fallen. The main monster here: Midnight Wendeckas. Very easy to hit (100 Atkus or so), but they hit hard and throw the aforementioned pebbles. Low-level fighters can hunt here, but only with other strong fighters helping them. The approximate level of hunting here is in the 4th-7th circle range, but things can get messy for any level group when huge spawns occur, which they do. For healers, a caduceus is highly recommended. Horus training also recommended. Avalanches also occasionally occur, burying those standing in the wrong spot at the wrong time.

Night KI (Kizmia's Island)
Kizmia's Island at night is much harder than during the day, in that everything hits much harder. There's still a pretty low requirement for being able to hit the monsters (lyfelidaes). It's easier to catch the lyfelidaeism disease during the night, which causes you be to be weakened (slightly at night, lots during the day). Decent Histia/Higgrus is an important consideration.

Glen (Mountain Glen)
This is hunting for fifth-eighth circle or so level fighters. However, there's a very mixed level of creatures here, so some of them might be fun to join in on for fighters as low as fourth circle. There are a few areas within the Glen: New Myrms, Deep T'rools, and the Ruined Castle, to name a few.

Sul'ran Temple
The main difficulty with the Sul'ran is coordinating a group to access the temple itself. Once inside, the monsters vary in difficulty, but are generally of at least sixth circle difficulty. Some require extreme amounts of Atkus (or alternative accuracy training).

Metz (Metzetli Island)
The "easy" parts of this island are casual high-level hunting, and the harder parts rival the Orga Stronghold in difficulty. For the casual hunts at the eastern cove, you'll want at least 150 Histia (most people would say more) and 350 Atkus or equivalents. To hunt the rainforest, greymyrs, tepui, and so on, the requirements go up.

DTN (Deathtrap Noids)
This is a high-level area, mostly aimed at people who are at least sixth circle or who are rangers that have studied arachnoids. It's a series of caves with really strong Arachnoids in it. They all hit hard, and some of them throw sticky webs that slow you down. It's in the East Forest, so it's easy to get to. A casual hunting ground for the elite.

SC/PC (Slate & Pitch Caves)
Another high-level arachnoid hunting ground. These caves have much the same monsters as Deathtrap 'Noids.. However, they're farther away from town (in and beyond the Foothills), so if you die here it's hard to get a rescue. Slate Caves gets its name from having Slate Arachnoids, which Pitch Caves and DTN (see above) don't have.

Trillbane (Orga Stronghold)
Trillbane is the final pathfinding trainer. He lives in the Orga Stronghold, which is one of the very hardest areas in the game. There's lot of extremely high-level Orga here, which means lots of fire, explosions, and lightning. Lots of fun, perhaps worth coming along for the ride regardless of your level. To be useful, you'll want to be at least sixth circle. Many hard-hitting, hard-to-hit monsters.

Torin
Order of the White Elephant
Order of the White Elephant
Profession: Champion
Race: Dwarf

Post by Torin » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:01 pm

No such guide exists, as far as I know.

The best thing to do is find other people who are 1st and 2nd Circle. I think that most of the TRAP clan are lowbies. Also, some higher level people hold lowbie hunts for power leveling in places like the Undine Hut and Jade Noids, and you can meet other lowbies while you hunt.

As Iriel said, the Open Hunt on Sundays welcomes people of all levels. It usually goes to high level destinations, so lowbies will fall a lot and tag rarely. The benefits are sightseeing and connecting with the rest of the community.

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Daimoth » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:02 pm

Kani wrote:SC/PC (Slate & Pitch Caves)
Another high-level arachnoid hunting ground. Although these caves have much the same monsters as Deathtrap 'Noids, they're a little less deadly.
How are they less deadly.. ?
Extreme level disparity is community disparity.

Cammie
Exile
Profession: wife/mom/ranger

Post by Cammie » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:17 pm

Torin wrote:As Iriel said, the Open Hunt on Sundays welcomes people of all levels. It usually goes to high level destinations, so lowbies will fall a lot and tag rarely. The benefits are sightseeing and connecting with the rest of the community.
This can be said for the Friday night MAP hunt as well, as long as we have enough healing. The upside is we go to more mid-level areas than high ones, so you might be able to hunt a bit as well as sightsee. :) The downside is we don't usually have as many healers, and may have trouble keeping newbies alive. You're welcome to come on our Noth hunt this Friday 10:30 PM EST, there should be some stuff you can whack and it's a pretty neat place to see. :)

Some spots newbies may want to 'tag' along with folks to ~ Undine hut, KB (kitty beach), SF (south forest), regular Noids, mid-pass (Wendeckas). All these places are easy to tag in.

~ Cammie
Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.

Kani
Red Quill
Red Quill

Post by Kani » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:29 pm

Updated to include links to the Puddleopedia articles on the various monsters/areas/etc. Fixed Daimoth's complaint. Please update Puddleopedia articles to be more thorough if you have the knowledge to do so!

Gremlins
Fenix Fire
Fenix Fire
Profession: Fallen

Post by Gremlins » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:11 pm

to add to Kani's list, more toward the bottom end (and more on the fighter side as my healer knowledge is crap):

Baby noids (east forest): some spiders that a low level small group can handle

Noids (east forest): a bit higher level but usually you can find a brick since it's really next to tc or nearly

Purple crap or whatever is the name of that cave in East forest can be fun too though it was created when I already slaughtered everything in there so I'm not sure of the level required.

River tunnel/cave: Crawlers, wyrms, mid level slugs. See Fafnir or Gustave for details as it seems it is (or used to be) one of their favorite spot for a while.

Passes (beyond east forest): a good spot till late second. a bit longer if you have pf. Even longer if you continue to GMV

Slime cave (south part of east forest): A short but eventually fun hunt with vanq up to 3rd, maybe 4th near town (specially with some pf, and when I say some, that means less than 20)

For all your coining needs, NWF and northern plain. At low level, requires a group. NWF, specially during night has decent spawn rate. As long as you get experience on SF/KB kittens, you'll get some there, with a bit more challenge (imho) than SF/kb. In the same spirit, North forest/Fringes if you can hit ferals, can be fun, including feral den.

Pods, and later one Cave Pods are quite nice too (beyond northern plains)

DI is fairly empty, but you can still have some exploration fun and some exp in some fire area till maybe late 2nd/3rd ? Beware of some nasty snakes spawn in some parts though and underwater areas.

Cloud: If you have access to the cloud (if you don't find some mystics to learn how to get access) this can be a very nice area too. Both the snowy part or the easier part.

Ash Island: No need to target new Ash, but faithless abound in the south part and some darshaks area in the west part can keep you untertained for a while. And then you still have the liches in DT or the mid level undines in DC. Scarmis might requires some more ranks (and forget Queen chamber without a fairly strong group) and some PF.

West beaches with their crawlers, adult rocks and sometimes great rocks are good as well for 1st/2nd circle.

And don't forget the hives (both old and new) for 1st circle mostly unless you consider doing QC.

There are probably more areas I don't think about right now, but those I listed are near town, can mostly be done without a few high level bricks/healers and you also get the benefit of an "easy" rescue if things turn ugly (and they will sometimes ;-) ).

Anyway, if I'm sleeping in tc and you have questions or you are bored, feel free to ask more details (or help).
Chum wrote:Do not attempt to apply logic to matters regarding Clan Lord; it'll just drive you nuts... ;)

Iriel_Red
TRAP
TRAP
Profession: Fighter

Post by Iriel_Red » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:00 pm

Kani wrote:A very cool compendium.
Can this list possibly be copied and stickied? It's awesome.

One newbworthy thing about the Old Bear Cave that makes it attractive is the fact that you have to be pretty close to the bears for them to attack, so unless you find yourself in the middle of a spawn you have some degree of control over whats happening in those tunnels.

Maybe time for another attempt at Tuesday Newbhunts? :D

Code: Select all

if( FLAMING_ON_THE_INTERNET == true)
{
ePeen++;
}
else if( NO_ONE_REACTS == true)
{
fail++;
}

Dyaus
Exile

Post by Dyaus » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:09 am

I trained 20 Skea and it's been very helpful with making coins from smaller creatures. Occasionally, I'll still see the little coin pop up without be skinning it, presumably meaning I "failed" to skin the critter. This happens even with Rats sometimes.

Does that mean I need more Skea to skin Rats 100%, or is there always a chance of failure?

Gremlins
Fenix Fire
Fenix Fire
Profession: Fallen

Post by Gremlins » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:11 am

Dyaus wrote:I trained 20 Skea and it's been very helpful with making coins from smaller creatures. Occasionally, I'll still see the little coin pop up without be skinning it, presumably meaning I "failed" to skin the critter. This happens even with Rats sometimes.

Does that mean I need more Skea to skin Rats 100%, or is there always a chance of failure?
There is always a chance of failure.
Chum wrote:Do not attempt to apply logic to matters regarding Clan Lord; it'll just drive you nuts... ;)

Sareth
Exile

Post by Sareth » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:40 am

I've trained Skea over 100 times, and I still occasionally get a failure on vermine. There's always a chance of failure.