Old screenshots from Ann's collection

Moderator: Ann

xepel
Trainer
Profession: Bard
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Active

Postby xepel » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:59 am

Torin wrote:I have no problem with people who mend/repair/forge items getting better at it. I just don't want a system that encourages people to go out to a forest to chop wood for hours or to a mine to dig ore for hours. Social interaction can be fun; mindless farming/mining/harvesting (probably in the middle of nowhere, not in TC) isn't fun.

It it better than a system that encourages people to run around randomly (or "ore whore" by running through all the known ore places) for hours, alone, in the middle of no where?

At least with a new harvesting system which is interactive, you can reduce things from being "luck" to being "skill", and you *could* go and mine with a friend, or whatever, just like you might sit and farm zu or fish with a friend nearby. And if you don't like doing it, you don't have to (again, like zu-farming).
Helpful GM exclaims, "Mystics can fly and walk through walls. They don't need boats on the water, and they can teleport at will!"

Torin
Order of the White Elephant
Order of the White Elephant
Profession: Champion
Race: Dwarf

Postby Torin » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:39 pm

We already can grow kudzu with a friend, but how often does it happen? We can also ore whore with a friend. No improvement there.

As it is, you can get resources like ore as an incidental byproduct of hunting, which can be very fun. A repetitive trade system would make you choose between hunting and getting resources. Given that getting resources is going to be boring, you're shifting some portion of player hours from fun stuff to tedious stuff.

xepel
Trainer

Postby xepel » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:56 pm

Torin wrote:As it is, you can get resources like ore as an incidental byproduct of hunting, which can be very fun. A repetitive trade system would make you choose between hunting and getting resources. Given that getting resources is going to be boring, you're shifting some portion of player hours from fun stuff to tedious stuff.

I think you romanticize the prospects of getting resources through hunting far too much. I'm not making you "choose between hunting and getting resources," I'm giving people something to do when they might otherwise be bored. Fact is, things like ore hunting aren't done with a group - it's one person going alone for "hours" to the same places in the middle of "nowhere." It's not very fun.

I'm not suggesting we shift people from doing "fun stuff" to "tedious stuff", this is a suggestion so that people can be doing from "no stuff" to "some stuff" (considering this *can* be an activity that can be done solo, as well as in any amount of spare time you have... instead of being so bored you leave to the library).

If I want something like wheat, I can't go out and grow some, nor can I buy it from someone who farms it. I have to get lucky - either finding it myself (not while out hunting, certainly!) or by finding someone who hasn't sold it to the bakery for 10c as soon as they found some.

Things that drop certain resources (like MNW dropping ore) would still happen - see, you can still hunt and get some "bonus" resources if you want. Also, things like gold and tin would only be able to be mined where they're located now... which means you'd still have to have a group to go get you there - chances for interaction with others!

Overall, it wouldn't be taking anything away from the "good" part of resource gathering (not that there's much good at all in the current way resources are gathered), but it would add additional things for people to do (if they want - no one is forcing them, like you seem to think) and add some skill in the process, instead of just random chance.
Helpful GM exclaims, "Mystics can fly and walk through walls. They don't need boats on the water, and they can teleport at will!"

Sala Dragon
Exile

Postby Sala Dragon » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:45 pm

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

My comment was just a little ironic jab. Suggestion box or something.

xepel
Trainer

Postby xepel » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:07 pm

Sala Dragon wrote:AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

My comment was just a little ironic jab. Suggestion box or something.

Heh.

We already went over it in the Suggestion Box. Time to bring it out of the box. ;)

(Sorry for all the needless digression.)

Return to “Ann's Scrapbook”