Unfinished Story: Orga Stronghold

A repository for stories, poetry, songs, limericks and tales.

Moderator: Vagile

Spiel
Fresh off the Boat
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 1:59 pm
Location: Behind the screen

Unfinished Story: Orga Stronghold

Post by Spiel » Sat May 13, 2006 6:33 am

Please post your experiences of this story here.

User avatar
Fundin
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Posts: 2137
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:53 pm
Profession: Ranger
Race: Dwarf
Player Status: Active
Location: The Pub, the brewery or the floor.
Contact:

Post by Fundin » Sat May 13, 2006 10:21 am

Hmmm, what to tell, where to start, i'll do a brief overview from my side, might not be what your after but we'll see. Im hoping plenty of other PAG will post their notes/memories to.

I setup PAG to investigate the unexplored areas past PC1. We had heard tell of another book inbetween the 1st book (pc1) and the 3rd? book (waterfall snell). We had also heard that past these areas might lead the pathway to the orga stronghold and the catapult we lost so long ago. We heard a tale of a trillbane (?) who had found these areas and left his books there on the way, to help others follow him on his journey. Tales said a path through the Noids area was a back door (?) to the Orga stronghold, and finding this will lead to us learning the front door to the stronghold (maybe via pf books). My memory is vague and its been a long time (2.5 years in one area), but thats the general gist in my mind.

The story behind losing the catapult and all that is not know to me, i was drunk for a long time :)
99 Bottles of Beer on the wall....
and 99 in my fridge :-D

------
CLAN LORD MAP REPOSITORY
Old maps, new maps, got any maps?
http://www.tidyup.co.uk/clanlord/site/index.html

User avatar
Fundin
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Posts: 2137
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:53 pm
Profession: Ranger
Race: Dwarf
Player Status: Active
Location: The Pub, the brewery or the floor.
Contact:

Post by Fundin » Sat May 13, 2006 12:15 pm

Oh, looking through my old emails found this one from John Junkar (since vacated out lands i think :cry: ) Leads us onto some of our story.

"You could learn a lot from Gaeyl"
"Gaeyl could teach almost anyone a thing or two about pathfinding"
"Gaeyl is a great path finder"
"I'm not sure where she is"
"I learned a lot from Gaeyl"
"I haven't see Gaeyl for a long time"
"I have no idea where Gaeyl is today"

"Trillbane lived in the mountains"
"Trillbane travels a lot"
"Trillbane might be dead"
"Trillbane collected rare books"
"Trillbane has an awesome library"
"Trillbane spends a lot of time in the library"
"Trillbane is probably hanging with Gaeyl somewhere"
"Trillbane had a extensive library of ancient works"
"Getting to Trillbane's library was always a challenge"
"I know where Trillbane's library is"
"You'll need have one of my students take you to Trillbane's library"
"I always liked Trillbane's library"
"There are different kinds of libraries"
"Trillbane is a great swimmer"
"Trillbane is a great hunter"
"Trillbane is a great lover"
"Trillbane is a great fighter"
"Trillbane is a lousy father"
"Trillbane is a poor cook"
"Trillbane is a great path finder"
"I haven't seen Trillbane for a long time"
"Trillbane hates midnight wendeckas."

"Look beyond the passes"
99 Bottles of Beer on the wall....
and 99 in my fridge :-D

------
CLAN LORD MAP REPOSITORY
Old maps, new maps, got any maps?
http://www.tidyup.co.uk/clanlord/site/index.html

User avatar
Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone
Posts: 3713
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 12:58 pm
Profession: Healer
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Active
Contact:

Post by Lorikeet » Sat May 13, 2006 4:16 pm

I believe those comments are from the Marsh Hermit. Does that sound correct?

Also, What do you consider the "orga stronghold" story line? Getting through Hatreds' Hollow and discovering the Outback, for example, was way back in 2000. So that's 6 years worth of orga activity. Those of you who remember the catapult from the days when we couldn't kill sunwyrms, and had to use it, might wonder why the orga even wanted it. After all, it used to kill more exiles than beasts, and they were always rather dead.

User avatar
Fundin
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Posts: 2137
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:53 pm
Profession: Ranger
Race: Dwarf
Player Status: Active
Location: The Pub, the brewery or the floor.
Contact:

Post by Fundin » Sun May 14, 2006 1:18 am

Lorikeet wrote:I believe those comments are from the Marsh Hermit. Does that sound correct?
Could be, i guess i part of the clue which lead people in certain directions. :)
Lorikeet wrote:Also, What do you consider the "orga stronghold" story line? Getting through Hatreds' Hollow and discovering the Outback, for example, was way back in 2000. So that's 6 years worth of orga activity. Those of you who remember the catapult from the days when we couldn't kill sunwyrms, and had to use it, might wonder why the orga even wanted it. After all, it used to kill more exiles than beasts, and they were always rather dead.
Very good point, maybe the stronghold has already been found, heh. Seriously though the stonghold, by me at least, is considered to be an area past the Noid caves and not yet seen by anyone (possibly not even built yet ooc). We have heard tales of it, we can get under it and hear drums from a blocked lid, but havne't found it yet.

Best person to really comment on this is Sherlock who envisaged it all. I'll keep looking for more info i have on this though.
Last edited by Fundin on Sun May 14, 2006 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
99 Bottles of Beer on the wall....
and 99 in my fridge :-D

------
CLAN LORD MAP REPOSITORY
Old maps, new maps, got any maps?
http://www.tidyup.co.uk/clanlord/site/index.html

User avatar
Fundin
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Posts: 2137
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:53 pm
Profession: Ranger
Race: Dwarf
Player Status: Active
Location: The Pub, the brewery or the floor.
Contact:

Post by Fundin » Sun May 14, 2006 1:25 am

One thing also from what i remember, when we initially started dying in these caves our mystics determined that the Pitch Cave complex is located below the Orga Stronghold. Another part of the story which sent us that way.
99 Bottles of Beer on the wall....
and 99 in my fridge :-D

------
CLAN LORD MAP REPOSITORY
Old maps, new maps, got any maps?
http://www.tidyup.co.uk/clanlord/site/index.html

Skirwan
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Posts: 2974
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:39 pm
Profession: Bloodmage
Race: Ghorak Zo
Player Status: Inactive
Location: SNN Planar News Headquarters
Contact:

Post by Skirwan » Sun May 14, 2006 8:26 am

As I remember, the first mention of the Orga stronghold came from Katpus. On one of LIFE's early successful trips to the foothills we encountered Katpus in the northern of the two western foothills snells. I think this was on the first trip there (the first time we made it through the Dred Passage), when everyone camped out for a few days. (And before anyone interjects an incredulous 'WTF?!', I say 'we' because I was there, just not playing as Skirwan)

Katpus mentioned that recent rockslide/earthquake activity had made the region far more difficutl to navigate, had demolished Trillbane's library, and had closed off the path that she had taken to the orga city. Koric was nice enough to post a transcript, back in the day.

My recollection is hazy, but I remember having the impression that Katpus had previously encountered the Pogue Mahone group out there, but I'm not sure they ever published what she said to them.

And yes Lori, those quotes Fundin posted are Hermitisms -- or at least I recognize a good number of them as being from him.
“However,” said Dumbledore, speaking very slowly and clearly so that none of them could miss a word, “you will find that I will only truly have left this school when none here are loyal to me.”

User avatar
Yor
Exile
Posts: 720
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:28 pm

Post by Yor » Sun May 14, 2006 8:54 am

Before I go on I should mention that it's unclear whether this project has been abandoned or not. So you might want to find out before doing anything with it. I believe the GM who conceived this epic quest is called Sherlock GM. If it has been abandoned or stalled to the point where more help would be welcome then perhaps he could at least fill you in on what his grand vision is for this great storyline.

It's a pretty complex storyline with lots of different potential loose ends. I'll try to summarize what I can.

Obvious Mysteries Involved:

-Katpus and Puddleby's catapult.

There was a massive Orga invasion long ago. During the invasion the Orga took our catapult from Puddleby's east gate and headed NE into Tanglewood. The catapult was never seen again and Katpus, the catapult builder, also vanished soon after.

Exiles ultimately found Snagglewood, Hatred's Hollow, the Orga Outback, and Orga Village. Evidence of Orga footprints were found scattered around in the OOB. Eventually the entrance to the Dredlock Passage was found in the OOB and beyond that is the Northeastern Foothills. When exiles first arrived in the FH they found a cave with rough catapult diagrams and broken pieces of machinery in it. Living in the cave at the time was Katpus herself and she appeared a handful of times to a few different groups. Here is the gist of what she said: She had been east of the foothills and seen Trillbane (I'll explain him below), an underground library that he lives in, and a city, or stronghold, filled with clever and deadly orga. She said they had taken her catapult plans (along with our catapult) so apparently she was attempting to recreate them in that cave. But what she really needed was the original diagrams herself and obviously we wanted our catapult back. She also told us to beware the arachnoids.

Unfortunately, though Katpus was able to make it through the foothills once by carefully hiding and avoiding monsters, the pathways since that time had changed due to frequent earthquakes and rockslides. So she no longer knew the way. So she hoped that we could find this Stronghold and retrieve her catapult diagrams for her and also reclaim our catapult. Soon after Katpus vanished and has never been seen or heard from again.

-Trillbane and Gaeyl.

Fundin's post above about the Marsh Hermit's ramblings and what Katpus told us pretty much sums up what we know about these two. Other than that three pathfinding books bearing their names have been found scattered around in different sections of the huge underground Noids complex. So far, this additional training has been mostly only good for opening paths into even deeper sections of the Pitch and Slate caves. Throughout the exploration and mapping of these caves no evidence of Trillbane and Gaeyl have been found other than their books and ruined sections of (presumably) Trillbane's library. A 4th book was recently found in one of the deepest sections of the caves but it has no title and doesn't do anything when interacted with by even the most trained pfs. (bug?)

-The Orga Stronghold.

This Puddleopia entry describes this pretty well:

http://puddleopedia.org/Entry/OrgaStronghold

When you also look up "Winged Centaurs" and "Bartok" you'll find other interesting tidpits that might tie-in with The Orga Stronghold. I'm also part of the exploration group PAG and we've never seen any evidence that suggests Bartok is still alive or that the Winged Centaurs use to live out there. Then again PAG has spent it's entire existence underground in the Web Noid (Slate and Pitch) caves so such proof may be yet to come. The deeper areas of these caves all register as being "deep under an Orga Stronghold" so such proof may be right around the corner, or more appropriately and literally, up a ladder.

The following link is to PAG's website:

http://fundin.puddleby.info/

The Map section took 2.5 years to complete as exploration appears to have recently ended with PAG discovering and thoroughly exploring PC14, 15, & 16. Throughout all of these snells there's no known exit except for a blocked ladder going up in SC10. Orga drums can be heard from above it. There's also a blocked stairwell going down in SC5 and it's purpose is unknown. And finally there's an unopenable path near the Orga Village which would seem to be important. When that 4th book was recently discovered this path was the first thing on our minds, but alas the book did nothing (explained above).

So it would appear that this grand quest, which began with the opening of Wisher 's Gate (IMHO) years ago has lead to this ladder in SC10, presumably (or at least possibly) the last obstacle between us and The Orga Stronghold.

Perhaps many of the answers we seek will be found there?

You can also find a nice account written by Koric of the OOB/FH exploration era here:

http://personal.tcu.edu/~dingram/koric/spr541.pt4.html

Hope this helps.

Yor

User avatar
Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone
Posts: 3713
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 12:58 pm
Profession: Healer
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Active
Contact:

Post by Lorikeet » Sun May 14, 2006 9:54 am

Yor wrote: A 4th book was recently found in one of the deepest sections of the caves but it has no title and doesn't do anything when interacted with by even the most trained pfs. (bug?)
Just as a point of reference, when PMF first got to book 3 (the one in the cave by the waterfall), it was a big disappointment, because it did nothing. In fact, we named it BoRH (Book of Red Herring) because it did nothing. It was fixed soon after. We think we got there before the GM thought we would, and it wasn't ready. Perhaps the same thing happened with Book 4.

There were times other Outback discoveries were made that we seemed to be ahead of where the GM thought we would be. When we first found the Foothills and the Katpus cave in December, 2000, it was really a fluke that Band had spotted some pf markings in a tree. We camped out overnight in the Katpus Cave, and the next day the server crashed and we were all sent back to Puddleby. We always thought it was a GM-induced crash, because it took us two months of trying many times a week to get back there. ;)

User avatar
Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone
Posts: 3713
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 12:58 pm
Profession: Healer
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Active
Contact:

Post by Lorikeet » Sun May 14, 2006 9:58 am

Skirwan wrote: My recollection is hazy, but I remember having the impression that Katpus had previously encountered the Pogue Mahone group out there, but I'm not sure they ever published what she said to them.
PMF did indeed meet Katpus as well, and my recollection of the discussion is the same as yours.

User avatar
Fundin
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Posts: 2137
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:53 pm
Profession: Ranger
Race: Dwarf
Player Status: Active
Location: The Pub, the brewery or the floor.
Contact:

Post by Fundin » Sun May 14, 2006 10:15 am

Lorikeet wrote:
Yor wrote: A 4th book was recently found in one of the deepest sections of the caves but it has no title and doesn't do anything when interacted with by even the most trained pfs. (bug?)
Just as a point of reference, when PMF first got to book 3 (the one in the cave by the waterfall), it was a big disappointment, because it did nothing. In fact, we named it BoRH (Book of Red Herring) because it did nothing. It was fixed soon after. We think we got there before the GM thought we would, and it wasn't ready. Perhaps the same thing happened with Book 4.
I wish your were right :) (you might be) however, the book gives no message, nothing all all, unlike book 3 which said you need more training. Still EAT is trying another route of training to se if theres some odd combo training issue going on. But as were still Sherlocks guinea pigs on this im not convinced, and as he vanished, im worried nothing will ever be resolved :evil:
99 Bottles of Beer on the wall....
and 99 in my fridge :-D

------
CLAN LORD MAP REPOSITORY
Old maps, new maps, got any maps?
http://www.tidyup.co.uk/clanlord/site/index.html

User avatar
Yor
Exile
Posts: 720
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:28 pm

Post by Yor » Sun May 14, 2006 10:29 am

Lorikeet wrote:
Yor wrote: A 4th book was recently found in one of the deepest sections of the caves but it has no title and doesn't do anything when interacted with by even the most trained pfs. (bug?)
Just as a point of reference, when PMF first got to book 3 (the one in the cave by the waterfall), it was a big disappointment, because it did nothing. In fact, we named it BoRH (Book of Red Herring) because it did nothing. It was fixed soon after. We think we got there before the GM thought we would, and it wasn't ready. Perhaps the same thing happened with Book 4.
When you say "it did nothing" do you mean no message at all? Not even the "You can't comprehend...." message the other books give when an unqualified exile bumps them? Because bumping "Book 4" (for lack of any appropriate name) has the same result as bumping into one of the trees by the East Field bridge. Absolutely nothing. :D

If may very well be in need of a fix as well but we've been given no indication that's the case.

Yor

User avatar
Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone
Posts: 3713
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 12:58 pm
Profession: Healer
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Active
Contact:

Post by Lorikeet » Sun May 14, 2006 11:15 am

Fundin wrote:
Lorikeet wrote:
Yor wrote: A 4th book was recently found in one of the deepest sections of the caves but it has no title and doesn't do anything when interacted with by even the most trained pfs. (bug?)
Just as a point of reference, when PMF first got to book 3 (the one in the cave by the waterfall), it was a big disappointment, because it did nothing. In fact, we named it BoRH (Book of Red Herring) because it did nothing. It was fixed soon after. We think we got there before the GM thought we would, and it wasn't ready. Perhaps the same thing happened with Book 4.
I wish your were right :) (you might be) however, the book gives no message, nothing all all, unlike book 3 which said you need more training. Still EAT is trying another route of training to se if theres some odd combo training issue going on. But as were still Sherlocks guinea pigs on this im not convinced, and as he vanished, im worried nothing will ever be resolved :evil:
Book 3, when first discovered, did nothing at all. That was my point. Perhaps SpielGM can talk to SherlockGM, move the storyline along, and fix the book.

User avatar
Fundin
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Posts: 2137
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:53 pm
Profession: Ranger
Race: Dwarf
Player Status: Active
Location: The Pub, the brewery or the floor.
Contact:

Post by Fundin » Sun May 14, 2006 1:35 pm

Lorikeet wrote:
Fundin wrote:
Lorikeet wrote: Just as a point of reference, when PMF first got to book 3 (the one in the cave by the waterfall), it was a big disappointment, because it did nothing. In fact, we named it BoRH (Book of Red Herring) because it did nothing. It was fixed soon after. We think we got there before the GM thought we would, and it wasn't ready. Perhaps the same thing happened with Book 4.
I wish your were right :) (you might be) however, the book gives no message, nothing all all, unlike book 3 which said you need more training. Still EAT is trying another route of training to se if theres some odd combo training issue going on. But as were still Sherlocks guinea pigs on this im not convinced, and as he vanished, im worried nothing will ever be resolved :evil:
Book 3, when first discovered, did nothing at all. That was my point. Perhaps SpielGM can talk to SherlockGM, move the storyline along, and fix the book.
Interesting, didn't know that, thanks :). Sadly Sherlocks vanished though so it would be down to another Gm entirely :?
99 Bottles of Beer on the wall....
and 99 in my fridge :-D

------
CLAN LORD MAP REPOSITORY
Old maps, new maps, got any maps?
http://www.tidyup.co.uk/clanlord/site/index.html

Garr
Exile
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:43 pm
Location: Deep Toks

Post by Garr » Sun May 14, 2006 11:22 pm

Also, I have no idea if it's related or not, but there were a few catapult fragment diagrams found on Gungla island. I have no idea if they're related or not, but might be good to check into it in case it has something to do with Katpus.

-Garr
I still hate Erthor!

Post Reply