Pogue Saga

A repository for stories, poetry, songs, limericks and tales.

Moderator: Vagile

HWC Sareth
Exile
Location: Out hitting even more critters, so I can become one. heh.

Pogue Saga

Post by HWC Sareth » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:36 pm

Warriors were weary By winter were worn

Resting, the restless Bereft of all rights

The Valient Victorius Were vanished to Vestor

Patient, the Pogues Were Planning to Pounce.

Fearless they'd fought For freedom and fame

Nasutor's Noblest, the Night knew their names

Blitz the Bravest Breaker of Blades

Wisher the Wise One, Finder of Ways

Cygnus the Sickle, Slayer of Sentnels

and more were amongst, Magnificent in might

But treason transpired The triumphant to trap

Ego enamoured By empirial envy

Glitter of Gold Gifted by guards

Had O'er won Olvrc To Overlords own.

In darkness decending Demons determined

Led by the love-lost The Loyalists loomed

The men of Mad Mobius Made mock of the mighty

Swearing by Sword To slaughter the swift.

A parley was pled for By perfidious puppet

to call for the caving Of couragous captains

The traitor was troubled By twice given tumalt

Of swordsmen loud swearing No soldier surrenders!

The traitor stood trembling as troops to arms took

And arrows of arson from air fell to eves

The sentinel soldiers sought to sunder

The Pogues and the people from place of repose.

Then Blitz came forth boldly His blade born to battle.

And Arocet's anger Against Archers aimed!

Mahones massed for mayhem Made Mobius minions

Give ground and give over to grimmest of graves

The villain Olvrc their vengence evaded

From fury he fled fearing lost friends

He has now no home His heart fills with horror

For death is the doom He deserves for his deeds

Though few fought their way free they fight still for freedom

In exile their effort enables empires end

Their nicks are all knitted They know now new numbers

The Pogues are preparing They plan and pursue

Mad Mobious minions they'll Mangle and maim

The martyrs remembered when Mahones with their might

Return with revenge And return us our rights!
The result of the deliberations of all collective bodies must necissarily be a compound, as well of the errors and prejudices as of the good sense and wisdom of the individuals of whom they are composed.
-Alexander Hamilton

HWC Sareth
Exile

Post by HWC Sareth » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:48 pm

A quick OOC explanation.

While doing some research a while back I came across a prehistory of Pogue Mahone. I think it had been written by Wisher, but I could be wrong, and am unsure where the original can be found now.

The vents described talked about a pre-exile Pogue Mahone being betrayed by one of their own. I found the tale rather interesting and decided to put it to my own particular translation.

Some who have seen this in the past have mentioned it to be a bit difficult to read, so perhaps a bit of an explanation of the particular style I chose is in order. Clan Lord is a game set in the High Fantasy genre. As such it seemed apropriate to use the original inspiration for High Fantasy as the model for my own treatment of a heroic poem. High Fantasy didn't really exist prior to J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis publishing their signature works (most fantasy prior to that was a cheap dime store extension of the swashbuckling sci fi of the 30s. It was campy, and not particular strong in identity.) Tolkien created the Lord of the Rings in response to England's being the only European nation to not have its own unique ancient mythos. When creating one for England he drew strongly on the ancient heroic legends of Scandanavia, particularly the Laps, Finns, and Norse of pre-norman times. These legends had originally been created by bards relying on an oral tradition. In order for those bards to be able to keep the attention of viking lords night after night for hours on end they had to be able to memorize hundreds of extensive poems and stories. To do so they incorporated a form of poetry to aid such memorization.

The thing is, the trick they used is one seldom seen in the modern world. Modern Poetry usually relies on a rhyming scheme which involves simmilar sounding words to end lines. The classic example is the sonnet, in which the first and third lines rhyme, as do the second and fourth lines of three seperate stanzas, followed by a two line stanza that rhymes. Being the most familiar sort of word/sound trick used to ease memorization, it is what the modern english speaking mind expects in a poem.

What the old Norse did, however, was significantly different. Rather than have rhymes at the ends of lines, they used a thematic sound that cropt up throught a single line as the aid to memory. For example, a translated version of "Beowulf" I read that takes liberties with the actual translations to capture the feel of the art form used reads:

"Hear me! We hear of ancient heros."

Note the repetition of the H sound. Another example (from the same translation):

"Crowds of Captives Cowering in Confusion."

So I decided to write using this convention as a sort of homage to the ancient bards of the Norse, and to the original inspiration that created the entire genre of High Fantasy.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

-HWC.
The result of the deliberations of all collective bodies must necissarily be a compound, as well of the errors and prejudices as of the good sense and wisdom of the individuals of whom they are composed.
-Alexander Hamilton

Grok
Public Relations
Profession: Bloodmage
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Grok » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:28 pm

you talking about This?

HWC Sareth
Exile

Post by HWC Sareth » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:43 am

Yup. That's the one.
-Alexander Hamilton

Odesseus
Rising Claw
Rising Claw

Post by Odesseus » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:35 am

Very interesting read, Sareth. Looks like it was alot of work.

I'm not sure about "high fantasy" being invented by Tolkein or Lewis, though. It could be argued that any mythology could be construed as high fantasy. Look at "Beowulf" for example. For more recent writers, btw, don't forget T.H. White!

;">
Be nice or I'll eat you. >:"E

HWC Sareth
Exile

Post by HWC Sareth » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:01 am

Hmm... A point, there, Odes. I suppose I should revise my statement to one being that folk like Tolkien invented the Modern fantasy genre, drawing on older folk tales, legends, sagas, and the like for insperation.

Of course, a Lit Major or B.S. could probaably adress that topic far more easily than this jack booted thug.
-Alexander Hamilton